yeast for bottling high gravity beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief462

Reaction score
I have a barly wine OG 1.084 FG 1.012 in the secondary for 4 months and brewing a wassail est around 8-10% that i will secondary for 3.5 months. What are the best yeasts to use at bottling to help with carbonation after long secondary. I heard White labs champagne is good for this is that true. Do I direct pitch to bottling bucket or do I make another starter.

I'm bottling my barleywine on Sunday that has been aging for 8 months. The process I'm going to use is the following...

- Make priming solution
- Once priming solution cools, add 1/2 pack Safale US-05 to it
- Dump yeast/priming solution in bottling bucket & rack barleywine on top
- Give a gentle stir before bottling to ensure even mixing

If you repitch anything (which you shouldn't need to) I would only repitch the same strain as the original. What happens if the champagne yeast can ferment the beer lower than the original strain after you bottle it.

I wouldn't pitch new yeast, and if you pitch something like champagne yeast, I would do it a few days-a week before bottling!

Back