Kegging before building Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
I would really like to move into kegging beer asap. I dont necessarily have the money to buy and modify a freezer right away though. I was thinking I could buy one (or two) keg(s) and brew my next batch soon, before buying a freezer. What would be the time frame that I should plan on getting the freezer ready once I have beer in the keg?

It depends on the beer. Stronger beers take more time to age. Hoppy beers and wheat beers taste best fresh.

But maybe you can score a used fridge for cheap and jump right in. I've had 3 kegerators over the years. 1st one was a used fridge I got for free. 2nd one was a used chest freezer I got for 75.00 The one I have now is a used fridge that I got for free. Check craigslist or just cruise the rich neighborhoods on large item garbage pick up day. I recently bought another used fridge to use as a fermentation fridge. Cost was 30.00 off craigslist. It needed a good cleaning but it works great.

Well, I don't mind paying full price for a new freezer to convert, in fact thats what I would prefer. The problem is that I am switching jobs next week and I will be losing ~$500 because my current job is mostly tips and I dont get paid til the second week of my new job. How long can I leave beer in a keg without chilling it? I know the beer has to carb for a few weeks, which might be enough time to buy the freezer and get it modified. But in case I need more time, will there be any harm?

You can leave it carbonated or uncarbonated in the keg for a long time. Just keep it cool like under 65F and it will be fine. Smaller beers are best after a month in the keg but most will be OK with several months of aging. Stronger beers can age in the keg for years. For long term storage the cooler the better. Ideally it would be close to 40F but anything under 70F should work fine.

Hey if you want to blow a bunch of money on a new freezer, go for it! Don't forget you will need a temp controller to convert it to server beer. Enjoy!

Thanks for the input! I'll work out the Keezer details in the future, I just really wanted to know if its safe to brew in the next week or two because it's been a few months since I've done it.

Even if the keezer takes a year to get done and your going crazy, you could bottle the beer right out of the keg.

Back