Tettnanger vs Tettnang

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fairly certain that the same thing.

Did you know that Columbus also goes by the name Tomahawk?

...thus the "CTZ" moniker...

And, as far as I understand it, Hallertau and Hallertauer are the same hop, as are Spalt and Spalter. But varieties like "Hallertauer Tradition" and "Spalt Select" are NOT the same as the base "Hallertauer" and "Spalt".

I'm guessing a person that speaks German could clear it up. My guess is that one form of the word best defines the region and the other form of the word best defines the hop variety from that region. Like maybe the region is called 'Hallertau' but hops from that region are called 'Hallertauer'...or something like that.

US Tettnanger can be a Tettnanger/Fuggles mix.

Also Saaz and Saazer are the same.

Hallertauer has five or six variations, including Hallertauer Magnum. Then there's New Zealand Hallertauer, which is nothing like the other Hallertauers.

Thanks all!

I need 3oz of said hop and at 2.99 an oz I was looking at getting a lb from Hops Direct for $10+ shipping. But wnated to confirm they are indeed the same.

I'm guessing a person that speaks German could clear it up. My guess is that one form of the word best defines the region and the other form of the word best defines the hop variety from that region. Like maybe the region is called 'Hallertau' but hops from that region are called 'Hallertauer'...or something like that.
Das ist Stimmt...that's correct!.

The Tettnang region is down south central Germany by Lake Constance (Bodensee) near Lindau.

The "er" suffix means something or someone from an area/region.

Tettnanger comes from the Tettnang region.

Same goes for lots of other words you know like Budweiser comes from the Budweis area of the Czech Republic. What we call a "Wiener" is actually "from Vienna" (Vienna in German is Wien, pronounced like veen not ween). ;)

AFAIK, Tettnang is a cultivar, and "Tettnang Tettnanger" is Tettnang actually grown in the Tettnang area. There is no such thing as "US Tettnanger", though there can be "US Tettnang".

Look at all the different names for Hallertau, depending on where it's grown. There's Hallertau (the cultivar), Hallertau Hallertauer, US Hallertau, and Hallertau Mittelfrueh.

At least, that's the way it used to be. I'm sure that market forces have changed the naming practices.

Bob

AFAIK, Tettnang is a cultivar, and "Tettnang Tettnanger" is Tettnang actually grown in the Tettnang area. There is no such thing as "US Tettnanger", though there can be "US Tettnang".

Look at all the different names for Hallertau, depending on where it's grown. There's Hallertau (the cultivar), Hallertau Hallertauer, US Hallertau, and Hallertau Mittelfrueh.

At least, that's the way it used to be. I'm sure that market forces have changed the naming practices.

Bob

You're right. ;)

No disagreement, David. I was merely pointing out the way it used to be. Frankly I preferred it that way, but YMMV.

Wasn't it Disraeli who said, "English is a superior language for it refuses to concern itself with the gender of tables"?

:D

Beg to differ: US Tettnanger (21197)

This is American English, we do not respect any other languages spelling, conventions or pronunciations.

And we don't do diacritical marks!
That just about sums it up...Americans will screw over everyone else's language, culture, religion, borders, etc., but expect them to leave ours alone...so hyprocritical...

And actually US Tettnang, US Fuggle, and US Hallertau are all essentially the same thing and interchangeable. Willamette is very close as well.

And actually US Tettnang, US Fuggle, and US Hallertau are all essentially the same thing and interchangeable. Willamette is very close as well.
Good to know. I was wondering if US Tett was similar to Willamette based on this thread. I usually steer away from US versions of German hops (because they often don't taste/smell German) but if these are all close I may have to try them as I like Willamette.

Good to know. I was wondering if US Tett was similar to Willamette based on this thread. I usually steer away from US versions of German hops (because they often don't taste/smell German) but if these are all close I may have to try them as I like Willamette.

Yep, Willamette was originally bred from Fuggle as a "triploid" (seedless) version of Fuggle.

Back