How Efficient is You Keezer/Kegerator/Lagerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LayMeister

Reaction score
I picked up a Kill-a-Watt power meter for about $30 a few weeks ago and decided to see how much power my 4 Cornie Keg Keezer was using. After a few days of measurement, with the Keezer set to 36F and a 69F ambient in my basement, I found I was using 0.33 KW per day. Over the course of a year it will consume about 120 KWh for an operating cost of about $12 assuming a cost of $.10 per KWh.

How much does yours use?

Paul

If I had one of those spiffy Kill-a-Watt things I'd sure tell you. I've been curious but not curious enough to buy one for $30... that's enough to make a good 10 gallon batch!

Hey look! Another reason to use my Kill-a-watt!

I'll have to investigate, but the yellow efficiency tag said something around $12/yr, I'd imagine it would be slightly less with a controller on there and a higher than freezing temp.

If I had one of those spiffy Kill-a-Watt things I'd sure tell you. I've been curious but not curious enough to buy one for $30... that's enough to make a good 10 gallon batch!

... or run my keezer for 2 years. :(

Paul

... or run my keezer for 2 years. :(

The Kill-a-watt is a useful educational tool for you to learn about what it costs to run your home... If you used it throughout your house, you'd be surprised how much it costs you to leave things like cordless phones, televisions, etc. plugged in, even when they're "off." Probably enough to make a few more batches!

I am very interested in this for any cooling devices, since their efficiency really varies, especially when you're modifying it from its original use, like we are.

Jay

I actually thought about pulling the collar off for a few days to see how much of an impact it had.

Paul

The Kill-a-watt is a useful educational tool for you to learn about what it costs to run your home... If you used it throughout your house, you'd be surprised how much it costs you to leave things like cordless phones, televisions, etc. plugged in, even when they're "off." Probably enough to make a few more batches!

I am very interested in this for any cooling devices, since their efficiency really varies, especially when you're modifying it from its original use, like we are.

Jay

Back