Just kegged my first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollow4

Reaction score
About 6 or 7 weeks i brewed a my first 5 gallon batch of beer with a buddy (my move from mr beer), its a dithyrambic brown ale from the joy of homebrewing book. While i was waiting for it to ferment i kept trying to find two cases of bottles. Should have been easy since im in college, but it wasnt. Bud Light is the beer of choice around here. So i decided to just keg it. I had to sacrifice my fridge, but i think it was worth it.

So i hooked everything up over the weekend and filled the keg and my CO2 tank and took a draw off the keg a while ago and while i cant say that the beer is the best i have ever had, it certainly wasnt bad. Needs more carbonation, but its still beer. I attribute some of the "off" taste to my buddy and i burning some of the malt (oops).

But its not all that bad, and all i can say is its got alcohol in it and its a hell of a lot better then a Bud or Bud Light. Ill take a photo of the final product when i get home in my studio, and see how well this puppy shines.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who posted about the joys of kegging. I can say that being a slightly lazy person, kegging is so the way to go.

Hopefully my next two brews come out at least this good. They are patiently bubbling away in the closet.

cheers
Ryan

congrats on your first brew, i have mine coming up in a week or so.

Well how much pressure did you hit the beer with? It can take a few days for absorbtion unless you shake the keg a bit. It will be better in a week for sure. You will not miss bottling too.

Just about to transfer from my secondary into my FIRST kegged beer. Just got the cornys today and just waiting on the system to come. Still have to find a c02 cylinder though.

Congrats on your first brew!!!!

Congrats Hollow! I'm right behind you as well. My kegs, CO2 tank, temp controller, regulator, taps and fittings came today. Just have to finish installing painting my collar and installing everything onto my keezer. I've got two beers ready to go and another in primary.

After doing some shopping around and reading up on this board, I finally opted for kegconnection.com. Probably I could have saved a little bit by buying different components from different suppliers, but I decided to go with a kit so I wouldn't have any issues with not having pieces I needed or things not working together. The kits at kegconnection had easy and straightforward upgrade options (larger CO2 tank, forward closing faucets). While I haven't served any beer with the gear yet (finishing up my keezer construction), I still recommend these guys. The stuff showed up almost entirely connected (faucet shanks and liquid quick connects attached to beer lines, Gas lines attached to regulator and to the gas quick connects). Corny kegs were clean, they still smelled of sanitizer, pressurized with CO2 and O-rings greased.

I called them up a couple of times with questions before I bought and they were very friendly and helpful.

Hope this helps!

I did buy a kit but already had the kegs. I got it from beveragefactory.com. Hope it comes as good as yours did. Now I just need to find a CO2 cylinder. Thanks for the info

Where did everyone order their parts from?? i went with Chicompany.net and micromatic.com.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on the companies you all used. I already need more kegs and parts so im looking to buy more stuff.

for the kegs i just searched for a local beverage store and they had 300+ old cornys that they let go for 2 for $45. As far as parts micromatic and beveragefactory are the cheapest that I've found. Kegconnection is another one.

Latest posts

Back