Hopps substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onedon

Reaction score
Last night I brewed a beer called Elbro Nerkte. After I had steeped my grains and added my LME I reached for my hopps to realize that I had somehow lost them. The recipe called for like 1/2oz. Nothern Brewer for boiling, and 1/4oz. American Hallertau. I happened to have Fuggles around from my last brew, which is a Shiner clone so I used this. I went by the amounts stated in the Shiner recipe Because I didn't want to guess. My main concern is that I chose this recipe because it is supposed to only need 1 week fermenting, and 1 week carbonating. Did I ruin my chances at it being any good?:eek:

Ruined? No! Different flavor, yes. Fuggles is a floral/grassy hop. Whereas, both NB and Hallertau are on the spicy side. Since the hopping levels are low I think you'll have a good brew anyway and it shouldn't take any longer to mature than with the intended hops.

Personally, I like Fuggles for both flavor and aroma hopping.

Back