cultivate yeast from wild rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelipen

Reaction score
I decided to try an experiment with soaking some sweet Thai red rice in leftover beer wort, to see if I could cultivate yeast off it, or something if not yeast. This is not Koji, or the "Red Yeast Rice" which is all over the net.
I've got something growing and producing CO2 bubbles. It smells quite smoky, yeasty, but not sour in any way. Anyone have any idea what is growing in there?
I'm debating whether I should let it run its course and step it up, or just toss it. I don't want to contaminate other stuff going on.

Adding some photos. There is a layer of something growing at the bottom, and a nice white "krausen" of sorts. Lots of bubbles streaming up. Still doesn't smell bad, just smells smoky. I found out this rice is called "Black Rice". Don't believe the picture, if you cook with this it will turn everything purple, but it tastes good.

The pics are with the sun directly behind. without the sun it's sort of a blood red. Quite dark.

2011-12-19_11-14-48_312.jpg
2011-12-19_11-15-00_107.jpg
2011-12-19_11-29-08_572.jpg

One more pic. This is from when I soaked the rice for a few days. It started to grow a powdery substance on the rice grains. You can also see little CO2 bubbles along the side of the grains.
2011-12-17_12-16-27_593.jpg

I wonder if it's producing alcohol? There are bacteria that "ferment" also but they usually are breaking down compounds, creating CO2, just not alcohol.

Hard to advise on this but i would let it ride then cold crush and use on the part of your next batch of wort (so you can make regular beer you planning and small with rice yeast and compare when its done)

I'm not sure if it's bacterial or yeast yet either. Once it settles, i'll try to step it up again and see if it takes off. I'll crash and decant to try to get rid of as much color as possible.
If I can determine it's probably yeast, I'll try to use it in a Brown Ale I have coming up. If it brings the smoky-ness to it, it might be interesting, or complete rubbish. Either way, it's worth collecting some extra wort in a gallon jug. The main batch is getting 1272 American Ale II, which is my new favorite.

The only reference I can find that leads me to believe it might be yeast is this video where they use it to make bread:
One thing though, once you add flour, all bets are off. I've done a lot with sourdough, and flour+water will ferment itself given a similar time.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK24rdJ2NpU]WILD YEAST(1/2)-Black Rice[/ame]

Back