Possible DIY homebrew sensor coming out in the spring!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmoor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is an interesting device. Could end up being useful for DIY homebrew.

............wired.com/epicenter/2011/11/twine-cloud-smart-environments/

I don't really see much application to brewing. The temp sensor is embedded, so maybe you could use this for reading the temp in your fridge or fermenter, but then how are you going to control the device for on/off? You can't. At best, you could use it to send you an alert if your temp's are getting too high.

It bugs me when someone designs something like this and then ties it to a cloud service (e.g. some third party hosted server). What happens when this company realizes that they can't make a go of it financially? These devices quit working!

Assuming you could use the technology independently you could measure the temperature inside your fermenter without having a place for leaks from a wire or connection... maybe put it in a pill like a stir stick. That would be cool!

I don't really see much application to brewing. The temp sensor is embedded, so maybe you could use this for reading the temp in your fridge or fermenter, but then how are you going to control the device for on/off? You can't. At best, you could use it to send you an alert if your temp's are getting too high.

It bugs me when someone designs something like this and then ties it to a cloud service (e.g. some third party hosted server). What happens when this company realizes that they can't make a go of it financially? These devices quit working!

I'm sure someone will quickly figure out a way to redirect whatever the twine block is sending through the router from the cloud to another computer on the network, giving you full control over the little bugger.

They are just using off-the-shelf technology, integrated in a 'DIY' friendly package. You can easily build one perfect for our needs from OTS parts. the only thing is making it for our small needs is expensive. The existing temp sensors full fill our needs cheaply and efficiently.

With that said, I so want to build a wireless temp setup just for the coolness factor.

Wireless Temperature Sensors | Phase IV Engineering

Just need to figure out a foolproof way of sealing the battery powered sensor,while keeping access to it. Or a small wireless way to recharge it, so you can just dip it in silicone and permanently seal it.

This thing looks like great fun ~ Thanks for sharing, I'm gonna be in line when it comes out ! Sure you could build one from scratch, but I can't ! The video where they hooked a button to it looks awesome, and they sell an upgrade that seems like a bar that you can hook multiple sensors. I can imagine putting a weight sensor under each of 6 kegs in the kegerator, and having this little puppy blab all the volumes and the temp of the fridge, maybe sending a message when I'm down to the last few beers.

I'm also thinking it would be cool to add to the tap handle, so it could log every time you pulled a pint (although I'm not sure I'd like to see the gruesome truth :)

Don't forget that with a microphone it could text you everytime your fermenter farts :)

For the tech savvy, but not programming interested, it looks like great fun ! The price if you prebuy on kickstarter is $99 per unit, i wonder if that will go up or down when it's released in March

Pretty cool stuff, but kind of pricy to start out. As with anything, I am sure those prices may come down after the debut, but really cool concept. Would be really nice for my ferm room.

Back