question on sugar fermentability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameadrat

Reaction score
I am trying to clone linegogles(sp) Summer Shanty. I proposing making my priming solution with vintage leonade recipe I found. However it involves cane sugar insted of corn sugar which I normally use. Does anybody know fermentable cane sugar is in relation to corn sugar whichs fully fermentable?

Said another way I normally use 1/2 to 3/4 cup of corn sugar to charge my swingtops. CanI go to at the high end 1 1/2 cups of cane sugar; get fermentation without blowing the bottle.

I'm trying to maintain the lemonaide taste.

Any experience would be helpful.

thanks
Ameadrat

Cane sugar is also 100% fermentable. It is also usually more dense than corn sugar, so you'd want to use less of it than corn sugar when measuring by volume, lest you package up a batch of grenades.

If you want to be safe, weigh your typical priming volume of corn sugar and use the same weight cane sugar...

Cheers

linegogles(sp) Summer Shanty

I'm guessing you mean Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy? Not usually a stickler for spelling, but I guessed you might want to be a little closer on the name since you're cloning it and all.

I'm curious to hear how you are planning to get the sweetness of the Summer Shandy to come through in your clone.

A big +1 on measuring by weight rather than by volume. It's the only way to get consistent and accurate carbonation by priming. Both corn sugar and cane sugar are 100% fermentable, but since they have differing moisture contents you need to use slightly less cane sugar by weight than you would corn sugar to get identical carbonation levels. I suggest using a priming calculator like this one to dial in your carbonation right where you want it.

Thanks for yor response. my all day ipa is an english ipa with 2 lbs of actual honey added at the end of the boil. Since I like this as a smokeable summer beer, i decided just to add the lemonade to the glasss if I wanted to have the taste. Your notes confirmed my suspisions. I also appolgize for my spelling errors as i am a product of a public college education. If you would like to try the lemonade, go to allrecipe.com and look up vintage lemonaide. I like 8oz beer + 4 oz lemonaide. I also can't type. My high school typing teacher gave me a b- If i promised never to come back. Good teacher in my book. Otherwise I have decided not to clone summer shanty. I'm still working on KSB and will know in 6 months when I go visit my buddy John at Maumee bay brewing company whose is turning into a good brewer if mangaement will turn him loose. I'll take a bottle of KSB and my brew. Thanks for your info. Lloyd

Back