Back to back IPA's, switching the HOPS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
Preface:
Alright so last week I ordered ingredients to make an IPA. I made a thread asking for feedback on the hop schedule and we basically concluded that what I had come up with was completely wrong for what I wanted. With help from Yooper I modified the recipe into the following, it is bubbling happily in the primary:

NOTE: This if or a 11gal batch.
13lb Light DME
1lb Wheat DME
1.5lb Caramal 80L
1lb munich 10 (9.0 SRM)
Chinook 60 minutes- 2 ounce
Amarillo 15 minutes- 2 ounce
Simcoe 10 minutes- 2 ounce
Amarillo 1 minute- 2 ounce
Simcoe 1 minute- 2 ounce

Dryhop- 1 ounces each of simcoe, amarillo, chinook.
Yeast - Nottingham

OG: 1.063
IBU: 61
SRM: 10.34

I decided that I would create another beer using the same malt ingredients but switching the hops to something more similar to what I was originally after (a Sweetwater IPA clone). In my last thread it was posted that sweetwater IPA consist of:

Hops: Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe U.S. Golding
Dry Hops: Simcoe, U.S. Golding
IBU's: 61
Grain: 2 row, Munich, Wheat and C80

I am hoping to mimic the beer as well as possible but I think it will be a work in progress. Again I am after some hop schedule critiquing. I have the following ingredients:

For an 11gal batch:

Malt:
13lb Light DME
1lb Wheat DME
1.5lb Caramal 80L
1lb munich 10 (9.0 SRM)

Hops:
4oz Cascade
4oz US goldings
5oz Simcoe
2oz Chinook

Here is what I am thinking so far:
Chinook 60 mins - 2 oz
Cascade 15 mins - 2 oz
Simcoe 10 mins - 2 oz
Simcoe 1 min - 2 oz
US Goldings 1 min - 2oz
US Goldings Dry Hop - 1oz
Simcoe Dry Hop - 1oz

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Once both are done and properly aged I will sample them and post back what my thoughts are. I'll also solicit feedback from my homebrewing coworkers. My plan is to dump this batch on top of the yeast cake from the first, I'll need to figure out a way to decant off as much of the first batch as I can from the trub.

Back