My idea for a Steam Mash system in a Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I like building things, so I decided to try and make a steam-injected mash system. I decided to use the bucket-in-a-bucket false bottom system in order to save money in case I ended up melting it or something (better to melt a bucket than a cooler). I'm attemping this for a mini-mash system just to see if it will work. One problem would be to keep the temp. contant for a few hours, but I think by keeping the steam on low it would work. I'll try it and see. Here's a link to my crude drawing:
SIMIAB

Do y'all think it will end up working?

I doubt that the heat transfer between the plastic will be very good, but hey, I say you do it in the name of science!

*laughs

That is exactly what I am going to try this weekend, only I'm going to use a small cooler instead of a bucket.

The thing I found with microwaving my mash is that unless the container is insulated, the temperature in the mash isn't very even. As a matter of fact its cold at the top, bottom and the sides. So I recommend using an insulated cooler.

I'm using an old steam kettle. I'm feeding the steam in from the top instead of underneath the false bottom. There are some dynamics with the steam interacting with the water that might be in the line feeding it. I think I'll need some sort of a checkvalve so that the steam is released right at the bottom of the vessel. As soon as the steam hits water it going to release the heat and you have to make sure that doesn't happen in the line. Or maybe the steam has to be volumous enough that it pushes the wort out of the feed line. It will take some playing around to get it right.

Keep us informed. I'll write up my experiment when its done. Right now I can't find a cooler !

I agree that a cooler would be more apropos, but for my first attempt it'll have to be cheapo buckets. If it works I'll write up a whole how-to. Keep us posted on your project!

Back