Malolactic fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read and searched many threads on this topic. Lots are very old ones too. So I decided to start a new one with the questions I cannot find an answer to.

Bear with me on this, it might get a little confusing. :cross:

1. Do I have to let my cider go through the MLF ??

I have a regular cider (A) that I transfered off the yeast cake, and innoculated with a pitchable pack of the malolactic enzymes. I also just started a new cider (B) that same day. So the new batch is about 7 days behind the first.

2. Can I rack that cider (A) off into a secondary in 7 to 10 days, and then transfer cider (B) onto the lees that had the malolactic enzymes, and will the MLF take place ?

On a slightly different cider topic, I would like to stop the fermentation, and keep it from starting up again, when I back sweeten it. I have the campden and sorbate for this, I would like to back sweeten with my fresh cider.

3. Has anyone condensed their own fresh cider into a concentrate ? How hard or a rolling boil was used and how much boil off, volume lost should I look for ?

Or should I just back sweeten with sugar or honey ?

I was hoping to use the fresh cider I squeezed instead of adding stuff that I would have to go out and purchase.

I appologize if this went everywhere, but if it can help me, it can probably help many others too.

THX

1. You don't have to do a mlf, but it makes cider less sour and more stable.
2. should work, or you could try using some of the first batch to innoculate the second.

Back