Gizmodo Promoting Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good article, but I personally don't like the "save money" aspect of homebrewing promotion. For me brewing is about making the best beer I can, not whether I can make a beer for 50 cents a bottle.

I think they did a good job of presenting enough accurate information to genuinely help people get into homebrewing and demystify it.

-Steve

They did say it was about quality though. Good article. Reminded me of a couple things I need to pick up before my next bottling...

It's a shame the majority of people commenting there are either completely against the idea, or are already homebrewers. If I had a bottle of apfelwein for every person that has been shocked to learn that you can make your own beer...well I would have drank it all by now anyway so what's the point. I forget where I was going with this, something about educating the masses and so forth. good find on the article tho...

I am getting close to the 100g mark if you include the Apfelwine I made so far this year. You are either on the bus or you are off the bus...

It's a shame the majority of people commenting there are either completely against the idea, or are already homebrewers.

Pretty much like every conversation I have when I explain that I homebrew.

The biggest shocker is how many people drink just to get drunk, not because they enjoy the taste.

Good article, but I personally don't like the "save money" aspect of homebrewing promotion. For me brewing is about making the best beer I can, not whether I can make a beer for 50 cents a bottle.

Hmmm. From the article,

If you are comparing the cost of your craft beer and wine to the cheapest of swills, the craft brews will lose every time. It's about quality

And the best part is that doing it yourself can have you enjoying a better quality of beverage at a substantially reduced cost.

Hmmm. From the article,

If you are comparing the cost of your craft beer and wine to the cheapest of swills, the craft brews will lose every time. It's about quality

And the best part is that doing it yourself can have you enjoying a better quality of beverage at a substantially reduced cost.

Hmmm. From the article,

Why You Should Homebrew: Great Taste, Less Spending

Throw in six gallon jugs of spring water and I'm going to end up with about 50 bottles of quality beer for about 85 cents apiece. Even the cheapest beer costs around a buck a bottle when purchased at a store.

All I said was that I don't like that aspect of homebrewing promotion, not that the article didn't mention quality as a factor.

-Steve

good article to share info to the masses but definitely a bit too cost oriented for my liking. I guess it is a recession and people are trying to save $ but that's not really what Homebrewing is all about IMHO.

It's cost oriented, yes, but it was also more focused on the process and using quality ingredients over 'For a $75 initial investment you can dump cans of malt into a bucket and make beer!!!!' I don't have patience for Gawker comments.

Latest posts

Back