Need help with a AG Mirror Pond clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
Boy, I love Deschute's Mirror Pond Pale Ale. It's been discussed a bit here before, but I've never seen a recipe that was all-grain. I'd like this to be my first all-grain recipe.

It's tough to get Mirror Pond where I'm from and shipping it here is about 16 bucks a six-pack. So...you Oregonian's...can you help me out?

Here's what I came up with and need a bit of help adjusting this and that. I'd be interested in what everyone thinks about rest times and temps... The hop schedule is a complete guess. Possibly Perle or Northern Brewer for bittering?

NOW, if anyone wants to PM me with the exact recipe I'd be happy to PM back an exact recipe of one of Lakefront Brewery's AG or PM recipes...

5gal final
60min boil
OG: 1.050 based on 70% efficiency
Est. ABV: 5.5%

7# 2-row
1.5# Crystal 20L
1.5# Munich Malt 2-row

Hop Schedule (32-ish IBU):
1oz Cascade 60min
1.25oz Cascade 15min
1oz Cascade 5min steep
1oz Cascade dry hop

Yeast Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

OK, here's the final recipe. I'm brewing tommorow. It's a partial mash in a mash/lauter tun.

2# Pale Malt
1.5# Munich Malt
1# Crystal 30L

10min at 122 (Protien)
30min at 144
45min at 158
Sparge at 170

170deg. sparge (w/ sparge-arm) to

Water + 1.5# of Light LME to equal ~6gal wort

60min full-boil upon hitting target of 6gal

At 30min remove from heat and add 3# of Light LME. Stir well and bring to boil.

***TOTAL LME: 4.5#***

1tsp Irish Moss at 15min

Hop Schedule:
1.5oz Cascade (6%) at 50min

.66oz Cascade at 15min
.25oz Saaz (3.3%) at 15min

.66oz Cascade steep for 3min
.25oz Saaz steep for 3min

1oz Cascade whole-hops dry-hopped

IBU: ~44

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier since I just got done with one. Heres my PM

2lbs American Crystal 40
4lbs Pale Malt 2-row
4lbs Light DME (planned on 3 but my gravity was low)

Wyeast 1056

Cascade 6.00%
60min 1.25oz
20min 1.25oz
6min .5oz
dry hop 1oz in secondary

OG: 1.059 (a little high)
FG: 1.009

Just bottled last week

I had it on primary for three weeks because I took a trip to Colorado (came back with a case of Mirror Pond since I can't get it Missouri either) and it was still bubbling.

Good Luck and let me and let us know how it turns out because I know I'll try another.

Well, brewing day went well. Can think of no mishaps. Issues with getting my target temps in the mash, but I got it worked out. Efficiency was 83%.

Got gaffed out of 1/2oz of Cascade hops so I substituted 3.3% Saaz...which I think might be just F'n awesome in the end. Edited my updated recipe to reflect.

Think I will dry-hop with 1oz or so of fresh cascade hops.

Brewday photos coming soon!

Ohh, and the Hornets were bloody unbearable today. Nice and hot, a little rain pre-boil and it really brought the humidity up. Lovely hornet weather....therefore I dub thee:

Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale!

So here is my cheap-ass AG system. This recipe I didn't use AG...bout half/half. It has Phil's Sparge Arm and my efficiency was about 82%:

clockwise from upper left: HLT; Star-San; Wireless Temp Gauge; Wyeast 1056; glass of Kasteel Brown; 1/4bbl Keggle; BMC swill; not to be outdone by some Three Floyd's; mash/lauter tun
4563-_MG_4466.jpg

Ok, next is meh:

bloody hot...temp was 102 in the sun
4563-_MG_4471.jpg

And here is the product draining into a 6gal carboy. That wort looks purty!!

4563-_MG_4473.jpg

I bottled the Mirror Pond clone today. Hard at this point to tell how good it will be, but the dry-hopped (1oz Cascade) smell was delicious and I just had to drink the hydro reading. Here's a shot of the hydro and the clarity.

4563-_MG_4546.jpg

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.011
ABV: 6.2%

Next batch I'm going to drop the OG down some...probably to 1.050 target or so.

I can't explain the whiskey bottle...but I always keep one downstairs just for swigs and for some reason on this date I found it empty. SWMBO doing laundry and having some fun doing it? Maybe!

Back