IIPA Fermentation stuck? What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYdustinj

Reaction score
Hey ya'll

This is my very first post on HBT so I wanted to start by saying "Hey!" I only started brewing a few months back, but have been following your forums for several months before. Ya'll helped me get started and have been my number one source for trouble-shooting along the way. So thanks! I'm now on my fourth batch of beer and may need some direct advice.

My situation/dilemma:

About a week ago (we'll say day 0) I brewed a Warrior/Nugget/Citra IIPA.

O.G. = 1.075

Temp at a steady 72*F

Pitched a quart yeast starter made from WLP002 liquid yeast. The same type of yeast and method I used for a previous IIPA (O.G. = 1.081, F.G. =1.017) which took 4 weeks to finish fermentation.

Now back to my Warrior/Nugget/Citra IIPA.
Day 1- fermentation is rolling strong and blowing through the blow off hose.
Day 2- fermentation has increased and actualy blew through the seals of the bucket lid and down the sides of the bucket.
Day 3- Airlock attached and bubbling strong.
Day 4- No more bubbles. Gravity 1.029.
Day 5- Still no noticeable action. Gravity 1.029.
Day 6- No noticeable action. So I pitched a packet of dry safale s-04 yeast.
Day 7- No noticeable action. Gravity 1.029
Today- No noticeable action. Gravity 1.029

The main difference in this brew situation compared to my last three is the fact that I bought a 6 gallon bucket for fermentation, hoping to double my beer production. I have only used a 6 gallon glass carboy in the past.

I've considered moving the fermentation vessel to a warmer location, but my only option is to move it to the attic which is very stuffy and hot. Not thinkin' it's a good option.

I'm going to run out of beer if I keep taking all these gravity reading. Any advice or ideas?

My first question would be are you all grain or extract? If all grain, what was your mash temperature? If you post your grain bill that would also help. The second thing I noticed is that it looks like you under pitched if you only pitched a 1 quart starter. Also, the attenuation for 002 is 63%-70%. Your at 61% so your not that far out of the ballpark for that yeast. Too late now, but I probably would go with 007 (if you're looking for the English character) for a double ipa.

One more question! Have you double checked your hydrometer in distilled water to make sure it's accurate? (You're not using a refractometer, I assume, but if you are, put it away and grab an accurate hydrometer).

5 gallon batch

10.5 lbs Pale LME
1 lbs Crystal 40L
1 lbs Munich 10 L
1 lbs Carapils

Grains steeped at 156-158*F for 30 mins (the usual process)

60 minute boil adding hops every 15 minutes.

As far as the hydrometer accuracy goes, I just double-checked and it seems to be right on the mark.

And as far as attenuation goes, I used a quart starter of the 002 with my last IIPA and it brought the gravity from 1.081 to 1.017. Is that abnormal for the 002 and I just got lucky?

Also, as I said above, this is my first time brewing in a bucket (5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon bucket) and on the second day the foam had blown through the seal of the bucket lid all over the walls. That mishap wouldn't have anything to do with my current situation would it?

Hmmm, with two pounds of crystal and that much LME I think there would be lots of unfermentables, but not as high as 1.029 (only 6% ABV with less than 60% attenuation).

I don't know what the cause is for this.

I'm thinking your beer is done, and nothing really went wrong.

LOTS of LME, that is packed full of non fermentables.. It already has some crystal in there and carapils.

You then added a pound of crystal and a pound of carapils..

Give it a week and see where it's at. If it's stable.. Bottle and try it out. Keep notes and change it up next time.

A DIPA is suppose to be pretty dry, so next time, I'd sub out some LME for DME. Drop the carapils, and drop the crystal by half, and add a pound of sugar to the boil, corn, turbinado.. demerera even.

What would you guys think if I were to rack this to a secondary then instigating fermentation by adding yeast. Or simply by adding sugar?

What would you guys think if I were to rack this to a secondary then instigating fermentation by adding yeast.

The only way you're going to get enough yeast to make a difference is to brew another batch of beer (something with a moderate gravity), rack it off to secondary when fermentation is done, then transfer your IIPA onto that fresh yeast cake. Otherwise you can chuck as many packets or vials of yeast as you want into it, it just won't be enough.

The only way you're going to get enough yeast to make a difference is to brew another batch of beer (something with a moderate gravity), rack it off to secondary when fermentation is done, then transfer your IIPA onto that fresh yeast cake. Otherwise you can chuck as many packets or vials of yeast as you want into it, it just won't be enough.

OK IC, thanks.

I'm just going to move it to secondary and let it sit for a week or so. Check gravity. See if anything has happened.

Adding sugar will do nothing but up the alcohol, and make it solvent tasting....

You have a significant amount of unfermentables in there. They aren't going anywhere with normal brewing yeast.

Make sure to give an update, let us know what happens.

Hey all. So it's been a week since I checked the gravity last (it was still stuck at 1.029) and transfered to secondary. I checked the gravity again just a moment ago, and it has finally dropped to 1.020. Still a little higher than I wanted/expected initially but much better. I'll probably go ahead and dry hop and let it sit for another week before bottling. Then give another update.

I have had success pitching a starter of Wyeast 3711 French saison. The starter should be roaring along before you pitch. This got me from 1022 to 1013 on an IPA that was mashed very high due to thermometer calibration problem. 3711 will give you a little estery taste, but to me way better than drinking a 1022 ipa.

Back