oxyclean rinse process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
I'm prepping to bottle about 75 bottles of wine and I'm using oxyclean to delabel my bottles. I make a sink full of hot tap water and add in about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of oxyclean and let a dozen bottles soak for 30-60 minutes. Afterwards I drain and delabel them. Then I rinse inside and out with more hot tap water.

Final step I use my bottle sterilizer with a mixture of iodophor and hang the bottles on the bottle tree to dry.

Have not bottled anything with these bottles yet but I'm worried about the amount of oxyclean that might be a residual on the bottles and its effects on the wine if so.

Does anyone else use oxy and a general water rinse in this way? Would be interested in your experience.

agreed. I soak in oxiclean after I get a batch that I've used previously. Rinse 3-4 times and then store them. Then right before I use them, I pull them out...rinse them again and run them through the sanitize cycle in the dishwasher. As soon as they are done, I rinse them with star san and put them back into the dishwasher to drain before filling them. Probably a bit OCD, but it's worked for me.

I just soak in oxyclean for a day or two then triple rinse them then sanitize. I know its kind of wasteful but it works great and I'm not exactly in an area where fresh water is in short supply. I suppose if you wanted to conserve water you could do a couple rinse buckets. The first would be like a dirty rinse then the second bucket could be a clean rinse.

I just soak in oxyclean for a day or two then triple rinse them then sanitize. I know its kind of wasteful but it works great and I'm not exactly in an area where fresh water is in short supply. I suppose if you wanted to conserve water you could do a couple rinse buckets. The first would be like a dirty rinse then the second bucket could be a clean rinse.

Just like a bar sink...wash, rinse, rinse, rinse, refill.

Latest posts

Back