Oatmeal Stout Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it was my first beer and i went all grain. iv made cider b efore and mead. and a friend that was helping had made beer before. I guess they really hadnt made much, cuz she said itd be best to have th base grains in a grain bag. we didnt have any big enough so we used some clean pantyhose. it jsut didnt let all the sugars get out when we sparged it. i also had thought squeezing it released tannins so we didnt squeeze them too much.
on my next recipe ithink ill try a different style of sparging. but i do like the all grain, its much funner and cheaper>
and the beer still turned out amazing, thankyou!

To adjust for my efficiency numbers I have seen lately, I would need ot up it to about 8 lb pale malt. Would I need to mess with any of the specialty malts as well, or is the extra 1.25 lb base malt small enough of a different to not affect flavor or color?

You did all grain your first try at beer? Or is this your first all grain batch. What happened that caued that low of a gravity? Did you step mash?

Okay so i've done some other things and learned a bit more, and the reason it was only 1.035 an so watery was because we didn't do the boil, we steeped all the grains,with the hops, then sparged, then cooled and put into the fermenter. Right now im working on making an all grain set up, and after that ill be trying this recipe again, and doing it right. Our friend who had done it befor ewas really sick around brew day and wasnt paying too much attention to what we were doing.
still delicious though.

Bottled this today, its my second all grain, tastes great so far, looking forward to see it in a few more weeks. I ended up with a final gravity of 1.022, and I forgot to take the OG :p Anyway, I'm going to try another batch tommorow with Wyeast 1084 and see how that compares. Thanks for the recipe.

Ok, sampled a bottle a week ago, tasted a little bit hot. Had a couple bottles today and its perfect. Looking forward to the other batches I have going on this one. I repitched the s-04 in one batch and used a wyeast 1084 in another. They've been in the primary a little bit longer, about 3 weeks now. We'll see how they turn out.

Brewing this beer this weekend so I guess in a couple weeks I'll be able to say how it turned out. Thanks for the recipe

No you won't, you need to let this beer condition for a couple months, right guys? I would say try it in 2 1/2 months

I am very excited about trying this recipe. It will be my 4th batch of beer, but my first all grain. I have 2 questions before I get started.
1. I noticed that you don't use a yeast starter. Do you think it would make any difference in the recipe to do a starter, or is it best to just pitch the yeast right out of the tube?

2. I notice that your recipe doesn't call for any priming sugar before bottling. Is this a typo, or do you not need priming sugar for carbonation in this recipe?

I am very excited about trying this recipe. It will be my 4th batch of beer, but my first all grain. I have 2 questions before I get started.
1. I noticed that you don't use a yeast starter. Do you think it would make any difference in the recipe to do a starter, or is it best to just pitch the yeast right out of the tube?

2. I notice that your recipe doesn't call for any priming sugar before bottling. Is this a typo, or do you not need priming sugar for carbonation in this recipe?

1) If you use the recipe as stated and use S-04, which is a dry yeast, you don't need a starter, just rehydrate and pitch. If you plan to use a liquid yeast as implied in "out of the tube" you will always want to make a starter. I tried pitching a liquid without making a starter first and it was a terrible fermentation. Ended up dumping the batch. Never again
2) If you plan to bottle, you will always want to use a priming sugar. A lot of times this omitted from recipes as this info is redundant and lots of people may keg and force carb. If you're bottling though, 3/4cup of corn sugar to a 5gal batch is pretty standard formula and is what I used when I brewed this recipe back in feb. and it turned out perfect!
Good luck!

Thanks mudflap. I've never used a dry yeast, so this will be a new experience.. I can't wait to give this a try. I might have more questions when I get ready to brew in the next week or so.

no problem. this forum has helped me so much in my brewing endeavors this past year that I'm happy to help others. Dry yeast is a cinch, just boil about a cup of water in a small bowl at the start of your brew day (I use the microwave). Cover with clean plastic wrap or foil to keep sanitized and set aside to cool. Later on check temp and once it gets around 80deg or less pour all of the dry yeast in from the packet, stir in with a sanitized spoon, re-cover, and let sit and bloom for at least 30min. By the time you've moved your cooled wort to your fermenter, it's ready to pour in. Easy peasy

I have been getting my equipment together to do an all grain and I think I'm gonna try this recipe out this weekend. I did notice that it has 36 IBU's. I do not like hoppy beers. I just want to make sure this beer is nice and smooth and not very hoppy.

Just put it in the primary. It was my first all grain and I felt like it went pretty well. The largest pot I have is a 6 gallon, so I had to split it up some for the boil. My OG was 1.050, so pretty close to the recipe. I was afraid it was gonna be to hoppy for my taste so I decreased the hops some. Also, my brew store said their roasted barley and chocolate were a little darker than what was called for in the recipe. It did give it a little bite, but hoping that will mellow out with the aging process. I'm really looking forward to trying this out in a couple of months. I'll let you know how it tastes. Thanks!

Sorry shanlmt, I know this is late, but the bitterness is fine with the OP recipe. My calcs gave me 33IBUs on mine and were just enough to balance. The bitterness does not come through as much on a stout since there is so much going on elsewhere. I'm sure dropping a few IBUs will be just fine though. I'm sure the darker malts will be good as well. I stated earlier after mine was finished that it was almost "too smooth" with the OP recipe and that I wish it had just a bit more bite to it. I'm sure your stout will be excellent! Keep us posted

CBBaron,

Do you remember what your water volumes were for your initial mash and your sparge? And, did you have to boil it down to get to your OG?

Thanks!!

I moved it to the secondary yesterday and it already tastes great!!! I can't wait till it's ready for consumption!!

This is a very good stout. Nice and smooth. As with any brew, it seems to get better the longer you can stand to age it. I've made this 4 or 5 times now and it is my favorite oatmeal stout.

I can't remember if I wrote about my finished project. I brewed this recipe up on August 21st; it was my first all grain beer. There were a few changes in my recipe, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out. My mash temp was only about 140, which i brought up to 145 at one point. I also almost cut the amount of hops in half. I added 1 1/4 oz of the hops. We started drinking the beer after it had been in the bottles for about 3 weeks. It just keeps getting better and better. It is so delicious, that I'm gonna have to make another batch soon! Everyone loves it. It is super smooth, rich and not hoppy at all!

I just bottled a batch of this. if the finished product is as good as the samples I have taken, it will be a regular around here.

I was a little skepticle about breing this, I love big roasty stouts. But this is the best stout I have ever made. Thanks! :ban:

BWRIGHT said:
Pretty good stout. Would have to say that I definately like it better after a few weeks in the keg. Not as bitter as some stouts. The oatmeal works well. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make a chocolate coffee stout that is as smooth as this. Good beer.

I know I'm late to the party, did you ever create the chocolate coffee stout?

Drinking this beer after 1 month primary and 3 weeks on the gas and it is a very drinkable summer stout. I think that the chocolate malt really shines in this beer. Great recipe:mug:

Hello
Can Lactose be added to this? Just to add a little sweetness to it? I've never brewed before. But, am excited about doing so. This sound just like what i'm looking for in a beer. In most of the reading that i've done, There is usually racked in secondary. That's not needed here? Being new, Im thinking of starting with a 1 gal batch.I keep hearing that 1 gal is a waste if time. But, as a starter.... first time.

I brewed this recipe last fall as a base for my breakfast stout, used Wyeast 1450 that I had and added local coffee to it. Anyway, now that cooler weather is here people, not necessarily beer geeks, are asking when I will have more available to share. This is a great recipe!

subscribed.

Couple of questions though. If I wanted to bump he ABV up a little bit would I just increase the amount of 2 row, since going by your OG and FG it finished at 4.86%? Also, any thoughts on using Marris Otter for the base and thoughts on adding some special B into this?

subscribed.

Couple of questions though. If I wanted to bump he ABV up a little bit would I just increase the amount of 2 row, since going by your OG and FG it finished at 4.86%? Also, any thoughts on using Marris Otter for the base and thoughts on adding some special B into this?

I'm brewing this tomorrow with Marris Otter, as well as switching yeast WLP005. On my system it'll run about 9lbs MO with the rest of the recipe the same. Beersmith shows this ending up with an OG of 1.062. Assuming a FG of 1.018 that's about a 5.5%ABV beer. I'llupdate in a few weeks!

I haven't brewed this particular recipe, but I did brew one that is very similar. If they are anything alike, then you will not be disappointed! It is sweet, smooth, and dark as night. Definitely on of my favorites.

I did get this recipe in the fermenter while listening to Kentucky get their ass whipped by Vandy on the radio...GAH!

Anyway, yes, coal black, smelled delicious. The warm Bourbie was nice and believe it or not it's already slowing down in the primary (pitched on sat afternoon, mon evening now). No blowoff this time, but that is hard to predict.

OG ended up at 1.056, 71% efficiency....6 week primary, 4 week in bottles...Jan 15th seems optimal. But, I'll probably break it out new years eve!

brewing this tonight as my first batch on my electric Biab setup.
Having problems with my controller, but the amazing chocolately smell during the boil is keeping me forging on!

depending on what grains my LHBS has in stock, I plan on brewing this Monday. Quite a few brewers add #1 of flaked barley to every batch. but seeing this has flaked oats, should I add in the flaked barley?

I brewed this today to and the only difference was I used Windsor yeast. The way things went, I'm thinking/hoping this will be my best beer yet. OG is 1.060 with hydrometer, 1.064 with reractometer

Well I was looking for a good fall beer to brew tomorrow.
After reading two threads about this recipe I am going to brew it. Adding 1.5lbs of oats instead and I might toss some anise seed into the boil to give a bit of a festive flavor

For those wanting to brew this, I made 10 gallons, and split it in 2. I then pitched Wyeast 1335 British II in one, and Wyeast 1084 Irish in the other. The Irish makes the beer much more complex and gives a nice flavor.

This is a good beginning brew for a stout. I can't wait to brew it again! :rockin:

Here goes... :rockin:
I'll let you know how it turns out. I copy-pasted all the ingredients, divided by 5 for a 1 gallon try. Im not sure whether or not to divide yeast by 5 or add a little more in than the math says, I'm about an hour away from having to take a decision.

:confused:

The grains all mixed up together smelled soo.. enchanting. A sweet, rich and soothing aroma.
I had a moment there when my nostrils got all excited :)

Back