Added Hops Too Early - 90 Minute Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I completely forgot I needed to do a 90-minute boil (German Hefeweizen - to reduce DMS - Jamil's recipe book) and I added my .8 oz of hops right when I got my wort to a boil. What are my options? Hops being in the boil for 90 minutes going to cause for more bitterness than intended?

Grain Bill
5.6 lbs pilsner malt
5.6 wheat malt

RDWHAHB. not much you can do about it now. you can try to dilute the beer with more beer. personally i would just leave it alone and chock this up to experience. after the first hour boil the hops are pretty well spent and the next 30 minutes wont get that much more bitterness out of them. your beer will be fine.

Shouldn't matter too much in a hefeweizen, your hops aren't all that much to begin with. You'll get an extra small % of alpha acids but it won't make much of a difference, you probably wouldn't be able to tell if you tasted your current beer and a beer with the 60min boil side by side.

Shouldn't matter too much in a hefeweizen, your hops aren't all that much to begin with. You'll get an extra small % of alpha acids but it won't make much of a difference, you probably wouldn't be able to tell if you tasted your current beer and a beer with the 60min boil side by side.

How'd you know that's exactly what I wanted to hear?? :)

THANKS!

This is a great recipe. I just kegged mine 2 days ago and the sample i took had great aroma and flavor. The key is to ferment as close to 62 as you can.

This is a great recipe. I just kegged mine 2 days ago and the sample i took had great aroma and flavor. The key is to ferment as close to 62 as you can.

I've got my keezer setup with my temp probe attached directly the carboy and it is reading a perfect 62....in Jamil I trust.

How long do you intend on letting it age before serving? Everything I've heard/read talks about Hefe's being much better the younger they are....

I completely forgot I needed to do a 90-minute boil (German Hefeweizen - to reduce DMS - Jamil's recipe book) and I added my .8 oz of hops right when I got my wort to a boil. What are my options? Hops being in the boil for 90 minutes going to cause for more bitterness than intended?

Grain Bill
5.6 lbs pilsner malt
5.6 wheat malt

There is a whole heck of a lot about this that has to deal with your water. If your water isn't quite right for hop bitterness or aroma, then the extra time might just put you where you need to be. A general answer to this has been said by the others. Just remember, not everyone's water is the same.

I have given a lot of thought to doing water profile adjustments to my water. But instead I have taken to FWH and I have been happy since. JMO.

Happy brewing and enjoy your brew when its ready.

I've got my keezer setup with my temp probe attached directly the carboy and it is reading a perfect 62....in Jamil I trust.

How long do you intend on letting it age before serving? Everything I've heard/read talks about Hefe's being much better the younger they are....
I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks and I will probably start drinking it at 2-3 weeks from kegging

Latest posts

Back