Glue PVC manifold together in mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipscman

Reaction score
I purchased a used 10lb cooler with a pvc type manifold in the bottom. During recirculation it wouldn't drain - the main manifold kept coming apart from the drain. I blew back through the hose (covered end of hose with thick cloth to try and eliminate lactobacillus) but still no go.

SO, considering gluing these loose manifold pieces together. Anyone know if this would create any health issues? I suspect not; we glue our water pipes together in a home. ???

Once the glue is cured it should be fine. Just make sure it's glue used for water pipes. It could also mean that a piece is too short and that's why it keeps popping out.

Also, you needn't worry about lactobaccilus from your breath getting into the mash, it's already in there in vast quantities. lactobaccilus lives on barley husks, which is why you shouldn't grind grain in the same room as your fermenters.

My concern is with a "PVC" manifold. Are you sure it's not CPVC? I don't know if I would trust the white pvc pipe in the mash. The difference between your mash and home water is the acidity. It's "rumored" that the acidity can leech chemicals from the pvc pipe.

Assuming you have a sqaure or rectangular manifold, one suggestion is to use some copper wire to create two loops around it each end (to make a + across the manifold). This way you can slip the loops off at the end for easier cleaning.

Also, don't worry about lacto in the mash. It's there and you can't get rid of it.... until you boil the wort, then it's fine.

Back