is it possible for my czech pils to be done fermenting in a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelinhoppy

Reaction score
I started my Czech pils on Sunday and by the time I got home from work Monday it was active. Constant bubbles and continued through Tuesday night. Now its started to slow down. Probably one every thirty seconds. Just wondering if its possible for it to be ready for secondary and lagering in just one week. BTW its fermenting at 55 degrees.

Sounds like it's time for the diacytl rest. And lagers ferment almost as fast as average ales when you pitch enough yeast and have good oxygenated wort.

If it's done, it's done; at that temperature I would not be surprised especially if you pitched enough yeast. Only way to know for sure is to take a gravity reading. 55 is a bit warmer than I would tend to go for a lager unless I was using S-23.

If you can confirm it's down into the 1.020 range (or even finished), let the temp warm up over 60 (I always just do room temp) for your diacetyl rest (a couple of days to a week), then rack it to your secondary and cool it down to lagering temperatures. You can chill it slowly (3-5 degrees per day) or just crash it; I've had good results both ways.

If it's done, it's done; at that temperature I would not be surprised especially if you pitched enough yeast. Only way to know for sure is to take a gravity reading. 55 is a bit warmer than I would tend to go for a lager unless I was using S-23.

If you can confirm it's down into the 1.020 range (or even finished), let the temp warm up over 60 (I always just do room temp) for your diacetyl rest (a couple of days to a week), then rack it to your secondary and cool it down to lagering temperatures. You can chill it slowly (3-5 degrees per day) or just crash it; I've had good results both ways.

You think 55 is a little to warm? I guess I was afraid to drop below 50. What temp would you have fermented at? And this might be a dumb question but how should I check the ferment to see if its done? Syfon through the airlock hole or open the lid?

You think 55 is a little to warm? I guess I was afraid to drop below 50. What temp would you have fermented at? And this might be a dumb question but how should I check the ferment to see if its done? Syfon through the airlock hole or open the lid?

I start my lagers at about 48 degrees, and allow them to go up to 50 for most lager yeast strains. 55 degrees is probably on the very upper edge for most lager yeast strains, and too high for some strains. Which strain did you use? That's how you determine fermentation temperatures.

To check the SG, pop off the top and use a sanitized turkey baster or wine thief to take the sample.

Yeah, I think 55 is a little too warm but the upside is that you are unlikely to get stuck! Depending on the yeast strain I would have gone anywhere from 44 or 45 (W-34/70) to 50 (S-189) up even into the high 50's for very specific strains (S-23).

As far as checking the gravity, most people would say use a wine thief or syphon through the airlock hole into a test jar. I would probably just take the lid off--I typically do my lagers in 10g wine fermenters with a loose-fitting lid that is easily removed so I can drop my sanitized hydrometer right into the beer.

Back