re-discovered beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
ever buy a beer and re-discover how good it is? :drunk: i'd picked up a sixer of Dead Guy Ale for the Rose Bowl party we went to, and man, i forgot how i liked that stuff. i checked out the web page and didn't ever realize it's a maibock style of brew. good stuff, good stuff....

guess it's like SNPA, Anchor Steam, etc. just tried and true classic brews.

Yeah, I've done that too. When I was in college I drank a lot of Deschutes Mirror Pond because I had buddies who worked in this pub and they'd float us free pitchers if we tipped well. After college I got on (and still am on) a big Bridgeport IPA kick. It's not like I went a LONG time without Mirror Pond but it was probably a couple years. Then you see that tap handle at a bar somewhere and give it a shot . . . reminisce . . . and suddenly it's back on the menu again. The funny thing is that, at least around here, Mirror Pond is pretty ubiquitous. Not like I forgot about because it was hard to come by. Just overlooked it for a while I guess.

AHU

I'm on that Bridgeport IPA kick myself, it got me off of my 5 year Anchor Steam kick. it's some good stuff. I'm probably going to take off early tomorrow and go bottle a clone batch that I have in the secondary. Yummy yummy.

AllHoppedUp said:
Yeah, I've done that too. When I was in college I drank a lot of Deschutes Mirror Pond because I had buddies who worked in this pub and they'd float us free pitchers if we tipped well. After college I got on (and still am on) a big Bridgeport IPA kick. It's not like I went a LONG time without Mirror Pond but it was probably a couple years. Then you see that tap handle at a bar somewhere and give it a shot . . . reminisce . . . and suddenly it's back on the menu again. The funny thing is that, at least around here, Mirror Pond is pretty ubiquitous. Not like I forgot about because it was hard to come by. Just overlooked it for a while I guess.

AHU

I know what you mean about Deschutes Brewery. I was hooked on the Obsidean(spelling) Stout during college. I just found it in the grocery store the other day and the memories were like it was yesturday. I have a sixer of that and the mirror pond in the fridge. That mirror pond is good stuff

Never heard of Deschutes? Regional brewery in Central Oregon. To quote Ferris Bueller - "If you ever have the means, I highly recommend it."

Not to rub salt in a wound, but having read a lot of your posts it sounds like there's a lot of good beers you can't get down there in Texas. Sorry dude . . .

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/splash/default.aspx

It's funny, I just got into a Deschutes discussion on another forum. Here's the rundown IMHO:

Mirror Pond Pale Ale - awesome
Black Butte Porter - awesome
Obsidian Stout - awesome
Cinder Cone Red Ale - okay but nothing special
Cascade Ale - okay but nothing special
Bachelor ESB - haven't had the honor yet

And the kicker . . .
Quail Springs IPA - probably the worst IPA I've ever had (and that's a lot). Just tasted weird to me. Couldn't drink two in a row so had to space them out and drink one per day until they were gone. (C'mon, not like I'm gonna throw it away.)

AHU

yea, tell me about it! we get some, but not a lot of the micro's from the East/West Coast. hell, Houston only has one brew pub. crazy for the 4th largest city.....

I got a sixxer of 60 Minute IPA last night. Never been a huge fan of this beer, but the hoppiest thing I've had in a while is SNPA. It's tasting really nice.

Genghis77 said:
Quail Springs IPA isn't so bad. I think a bit more body and tweeking up the hops would make it better though.
I agree. I've tried the Mirror Pond, the Obsidian Stout and the IPA, but it's the latter that left me unimpressed. Definately needs more hops.

Sam75 said:
I got a sixxer of 60 Minute IPA last night. Never been a huge fan of this beer, but the hoppiest thing I've had in a while is SNPA. It's tasting really nice.

If you think the 60 Minute IPA is hoppy try the 120 Minute. At ~21% it tasted kinda like beer syrup concentrate to me, but I'm glad I tried it.

AHU

I try to find at least 2 microbrews every month. Seems that I usually get one good one and one that is nearly a drain pour. This month Sunshine Wheat beer was the disappointment, too watery. With comparison to my own home brews, even my worst are outstanding. Each batch just seems to get better as I home in on style and taste.:D

Back