Adjusting a Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
I have a brown ale mix that uses LME. Usually, I don't like the LME beers as much as I do PM using DME or AG beers. I was curious what anyone thinks of "spicing" up a brown ale? I have some leftover black malt, some victory malt, enough hops to possible make it an brown IPA (does that even exist?!?). I am racking my brain (pun intended) to figure out SOMETHING to do with it to give it a bit more life.

Maybe I can make it a real strong beer by not adding as much top-off water. An Imperial Brown Ale?!? hehe.

Thanks for any help.

There is a new style evolving. I'm calling it Cascadian Dark Ale. I've also seen it called Texas Brown. Some extra victory can't hurt (makes it more of a nut brown) and maybe an ounce of black malt.

[Pelican Brewery has a batch they are calling Dark IPA]

exactly what I am trying to do BP. However, my brain couldn't function to get any ideas on what to do! I will be exploring some things mentioned so far. Thanks!

I like the idea of Victory malt in there, but not so much the black malt. I do a LME sort of Texas Brown that has a good dose of Munich, some crystal malt, and a big dose of late addition hops. I love it, and it comes out very similar to SN Celebration.

One of these days, I'll try it with some Maris Otter.

TL

5.5 lbs. amber extract (I suspect it is either all amber or 1 lb, light and 3 lbs. dark)

hops addition: 1.5oz. for 60 min and 0.50oz. for 15 min. I believe they are Williamette.

That's it. Now you can see why I am thinking of spicing it up a bit by steeping some other grains and/or adding hops.

I would assume there is some crystal in there and a bit of chocolate, so I would put in 1/4 to 1/2 a pound of victory in. I would put in maybe an ounce, no more then 2 ounces of roast. Maybe put in some dark crystal, 60L or over at about 1/3 of a pound. I would make sure I had abount an ounce of hops for flame out, about the same at 15 minutes. Get a good 22 IBUs from the 60 minute hops.

Back