I hate Heady Topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...almost as much as I hate Pliny the Elder. But I've actually had Pliny, which made me hate it slightly less. If you're going to make such a supposedly epic beer, why give it such a stupid name (you, too, Vinnie)? And why should I drink an allegedly flavorful, aromatic beer from the can? Are you ashamed of your ugly baby, Alchemist?

Mostly, I'm sick of hearing about it.

I'm not jealous. Ok, maybe a little.

:tank:

Part of the interest is in the inaccessibility. A great beer that is nearly available everywhere would never have this much hype.

Heady Topper is a really good beer, if I could brew a beer just like it, it would be in constant supply at my home.

The first HT I had 6-8 months ago was out of this world and by far the best DIPA I have ever had. The one I had, and harvested from, 3 months ago was OK, but not great by any means. It had a pithy grapefruit flavor that was less than desirable.

Quit whining and brew your own. Isn't there a very small and lightly-read thread about that somewhere?

And why should I drink an allegedly flavorful, aromatic beer from the can? Are you ashamed of your ugly baby, Alchemist?

The can of Heady Topper that I poured into a glass wasn't exactly appealing. I could see the hop sheen, and it had little lacing and thin head. Tasted okay just not visually impressive.

I enjoy Heady Topper, and I too like harvesting the yeast from the cans. It's really a great yeast.

I will admit that after drinking about 12 cans of the stuff I think it's a tad overrated. I agree with an earlier comment that it's built up by people due to the fact that it's hard to come by. Don't get me wrong... It's a great beer, but I honestly enjoy my homebrewed DIPA's just as much.

Since I do a bit of beer trading I would definitely trade for it again, but I don't think it's worth trading white whales for it.

It's the best DIPA I've had to date. Alchemist really hit one out of the park with Heady.

I over-rated..? No way.

Over-hyped.. yeah

Quit whining and brew your own. Isn't there a very small and lightly-read thread about that somewhere?

Speaking of which, I'm waiting for the answer to that thread's title.

Has someone actually cloned it yet? Every time I've clicked on that thread, it's lots and lots of posts about "attempt #4" etc.

I hope someone will post the recipe when a generally accepted clone comes about.

I ordered ingredients to brew attempt 4 and harvesting yeast now so we'll see :)

naga77777 said:
Speaking of which, I'm waiting for the answer to that thread's title.

Has someone actually cloned it yet? Every time I've clicked on that thread, it's lots and lots of posts about "attempt #4" etc.

I hope someone will post the recipe when a generally accepted clone comes about.

Why clone it when you can steal the yeast and make something better or more unique. My first use of conan is going to be a huge South Pacific DIPA

Why clone it when you can steal the yeast and make something better or more unique. My first use of conan is going to be a huge South Pacific DIPA

I tend to agree with this. The first IPA I made with Conan was fantastic! I have a new recipe fermenting with Conan as we speak. I'm not big in to cloning, anyway. I like to challenge my own creativity vs. trying to duplicate other peoples. I will exploit their yeast, though.

That's cool :rockin:

I'd clone it mainly because I've never had it, and it's not available anywhere near me. So basically I'd be making a batch to try it for the first time :fro:

Around here, the beer nerds have moved on from Heady (it's too popular, everyone's drinking it) to Hill Farmstead. Best beers in the world, or so they say.

Don't believe them.

naga77777 said:
That's cool :rockin:

I'd clone it mainly because I've never had it, and it's not available anywhere near me. So basically I'd be making a batch to try it for the first time :fro:

If you don't have the constant then the experiment doesn't work. You can't clone something you haven't drank.

bierhaus15 said:
Around here, the beer nerds have moved on from Heady (it's too popular, everyone's drinking it) to Hill Farmstead. Best beers in the world, or so they say.

Don't believe them.

Good for you, Shaun hills beers are not the end all of beer nor worth the time and trouble to acquire them.

I can get Heady Topper whenever I want as I'm in VT all the time and while it's good I think it's highly over rated. Sort of a novelty. Not all that well balanced. The high ABV is necessary as it is super hoppy. Lots of pine AND citrus. If you pour it in a glass it's quite cloudy (inconsistently so). Don't get me wrong, I love drinking it, but prefer to brew my own. There is a recipe that someone posted here recently for "Pliney Light" which is actually quite similar. Although I switched out some of the hops for armarillo and Mosaic to make it a little more in the Heady Topper realm. It's a little less hoppy and ABV is less but in my opinion it's got better balance and is 1/4 the price.

Shaun Hill's beers - thats a different story. The secret to his beers is in the water up there. Those are special...

I don't know anything about water except I love drinking it so this may be a stupid question, but can't you just adjust your water profile to match theirs or is there something that happens to their water that you can't replicate?

I don't know anything about water except I love drinking it so this may be a stupid question, but can't you just adjust your water profile to match theirs or is there something that happens to their water that you can't replicate?

I heard they make a unicorn drink cherry Kool-aid and have it pee into mash tun.

I heard they make a unicorn drink cherry Kool-aid and have it pee into mash tun.

kool1.jpg

Ha. I love warm kool-aid. Drink my kool-aid! Hill Farmstead uses well water, and apparently the minerals in the area make it very nice for brewing. Pretty sure you cannot replicate a pure water source with additives. Ask the Germans.

Back