Brutus 10 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRoboto

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of plans for $3 for the Brutus 10 and I think I might need to make some modifications because I plan on using 15.5 gallon kegs for my pots.

I noticed that a keg stands about 23 inches tall the brutus 10 legs are 28 inches tall plus I have 4 inch casters this would make it 61 inches to the top of the keg I think this might be a little too tall Im thinking of shortening the legs 10 inches. Does anyone have any experience with the height on this? Should I go as far as 12 inches and have no legs and just attach casters to the frame itself?

Also as far as the width of the kegs go they can be 16-17 inches in diameter and each burner space on the plans is a 12 x 12 square with 2 inch rails so with kegs they would need to be touching each other what length and width should I make this stand to fit kegs well?

Also as far as the width of the kegs go they can be 16-17 inches in diameter and each burner space on the plans is a 12 x 12 square with 2 inch rails so with kegs they would need to be touching each other what length and width should I make this stand to fit kegs well?

Hmm, I am not sure but the original Brutus 10 had some spacing between the rails. I don’t have the Brutus schematics but I believe there is ~2” space between each burner frame (the 12” by 12” burner space plus rails on each end). The overall length was ~48” plus the end rails width.

I did lots of research before finalizing my brew stand design so I can relate to your concerns! :mug:

lanvp said:
Hmm, I am not sure but the original Brutus 10 had some spacing between the rails. I don’t have the Brutus schematics but I believe there is ~2” space between each burner frame (the 12” by 12” burner space plus rails on each end). The overall length was ~48” plus the end rails width.

I did lots of research before finalizing my brew stand design so I can relate to your concerns! :mug:

Did u build the Brutus 10? I'm thinking about making one. How much did it run you in material and parts if u don't mind me asking?

Yeah you are right there is 2 inch spaces between rails this means only 16 to 17 inches of space per keg I went ahead and built mine with no 12 inch legs on the bottom and 13 inch square burner space just to give me some more room.

Did u build the Brutus 10? I'm thinking about making one. How much did it run you in material and parts if u don't mind me asking?

The metal cost me $107 for 4 10 foot sections. The casters were $50. Plus 2 days of work I had to use my chain come a long to pull metal together to keep it square wile I was building and welding it out.

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

MrRoboto said:
Yeah you are right there is 2 inch spaces between rails this means only 16 to 17 inches of space per keg I went ahead and built mine with no 12 inch legs on the bottom and 13 inch square burner space just to give me some more room.

The metal cost me $107 for 4 10 foot sections. The casters were $50. Plus 2 days of work I had to use my chain come a long to pull metal together to keep it square wile I was building and welding it out.

Very nice stand. I myself am a fabricator and welder. Think I'm gonna make my own stand myself too. Great work. Cheers.

... I had to use my chain come a long to pull metal together to keep it square wile I was building and welding it out...

for future projects, i suggest using jigs or magnets to keep the project square when laying it out, and then tacking all 4 corners of the piece before doing any big welds. it will keep the project from twisting. heating/cooling of the weld pulls things out of square.

http://www.eastwood.com/magnetic-we...ag&utm_medium=Merchant-Centre&SRCCODE=1SE0757

or

http://prestondrake.smugmug.com/Other/Website-Pics/sandblaster03/806673301_JjHRh-L.jpg

I'd also recommend some heave duty ratchet straps to help keep it all square. Helped me a ton building my Brutus stand.

I did use magnets and I used a come along it ratchets and helped me a lot. Using square tubing it is hard to keep square but it worked out in the end. I will post more pics when I get more of the rig built.

slakwhere said:
for future projects, i suggest using jigs or magnets to keep the project square when laying it out, and then tacking all 4 corners of the piece before doing any big welds. it will keep the project from twisting. heating/cooling of the weld pulls things out of square.

http://www.eastwood.com/magnetic-welding-small-jig-set.html?utm_content=19065&utm_campaign=nextagsean01&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=Merchant-Centre&SRCCODE=1SE0757

or

http://prestondrake.smugmug.com/Other/Website-Pics/sandblaster03/806673301_JjHRh-L.jpg

The second link you posted. What is that jig called? I will def be ordering one of these before I build.

No, I took some features from several stands and merged them in to my own design. I call it, "The Frankenstand"

img_049
img_0497-57853.jpg

After installing all the equipment!

img_174
img_1746-57854.jpg

About the cost, I think the steel was ~$180. I need to look for my bill of materials (it's been a couple of years since the build!).:drunk:

$100 for 40' of stainless? I am looking at 4-5 times that here in Maine... It's really the only reason I haven't built one yet.

mbaker33 said:
$100 for 40' of stainless? I am looking at 4-5 times that here in Maine... It's really the only reason I haven't built one yet.

No not stainless just mild steel I don't want to spend a fortune on the Brutus so I went with mild steel and I'm painting it with 2000 degree paint found at any automotive parts store

Oh, alright. That mild steel is incredibly shiny. I knew something was off. I've read about the 2000 degree paint, would be interested in hearing how it stands up to a full length boil. I've heard for best results, after the paint is dried, if you run the burner for 20-30 minutes (without the pot) it kind of sets the paint a little more. Not sure if that's actually the case or not though.

No not stainless just mild steel I don't want to spend a fortune on the Brutus so I went with mild steel and I'm painting it with 2000 degree paint found at any automotive parts store

Wow,,, 100 is expensive for 40 ft of mild steel... its about a dollar a foot for 2x2x1/8 over here

mbaker33 said:
Oh, alright. That mild steel is incredibly shiny. I knew something was off. I've read about the 2000 degree paint, would be interested in hearing how it stands up to a full length boil. I've heard for best results, after the paint is dried, if you run the burner for 20-30 minutes (without the pot) it kind of sets the paint a little more. Not sure if that's actually the case or not though.

It is ornamental steel used for fabricating appearance instead of being coated in mill scale it is dipped in oil to prevent rust I had to clean off the oil so it wasn't so messy and to prevent weld contamination

kosmokramer said:
Wow,,, 100 is expensive for 40 ft of mild steel... its about a dollar a foot for 2x2x1/8 over here

I shopped several places here and this was the best deal I could find I guess everything costs more in California lol

Lol, I'm in upland, ca. I got mine from pattons steel in Ontario California. Did you buy from a steel supply?

Lol, I'm in upland, ca. I got mine from pattons steel in Ontario California. Did you buy from a steel supply?

Yeah I got mine from Gold Coast steel in Oxnard Ca, Im not upset with my purchase even if I paid more the quality of this steel is top notch most people that see it think it is stainless.. If comparing prices make sure it is ornamental steel and not structural..

Back