BJCP Entrance exam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonGrafto

Reaction score
Any tips on what to study and focus on for the tasting portion of the exam?

I just PASSED the entrance exam portion. Woot! Man that was intense. Now I want to start my road to becoming a certified judge not just a provisional one.

I don't have any input to help, but congratulations on passing entrance exam. I hear setting up samples of different beer (homebrew and commercial) in the same style is good practice. Print out several forms and critique each beer on initial tasting and then do it again since the beer changes character as they get warmer. I have no idea if that's really good advice, but it's what one of the local guys did before he took the tasting portion of the exam. Never heard if he passed.

Familiarize yourself with the style guidelines - spend some time tasting the differences between related but different beers, like an ordinary bitter, a special bitter, and an extra special bitter. If you can take a beer sensory class to identify off-flavors, that would be good, too.

Congrats on passing the first portion!

Back