Complete noob question - Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struttin Duck

Reaction score
How do I make a yeast starter? I am using WL liguid yeast and will be pitching in a 10 gallon batch. I have an old one gallon wine bottle that I was going to make the starter in. How much starter do I need and what is the recipe I should use? Thanks.

Here is Palmer's take on it http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Basically, you are making a mini batch of wort for the yeast to get started in, using DME or such. I have learned the general rule that it really is hard to pitch too much yeast. Others will most likely have a better grip on this than I, but I have bee nfollowing all of Palmer's advice since I am just starting out, and he has not wronged me.

Dry Malt Extract. You can get it at your brew supply shop. It is basically a powdered form of the malt that you would extract from grain in a mash session. They do that work for you, and you get a bag of DME, as it is. There is also LME, which is liquid malt extract. This is basically the same, with a few minor differences, and by weight, is not as strong as DME, since it still has a noticeable water content.

Struttin Duck said:
How do I make a yeast starter? I am using WL liguid yeast and will be pitching in a 10 gallon batch. I have an old one gallon wine bottle that I was going to make the starter in. How much starter do I need and what is the recipe I should use? Thanks.
Here are a couple of more takes on the subject.

From HBD: Making Yeast Starters

From here: Starter stuff

Also, there's a FAQ link at the very top of the page that has a starter FAQ by Sam75.

Back