Starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Hi all, for the last few batches I've been using starsan rather than chlorine based sterlisation solutions. My water here is too hard for starsan to work though so I had to use deionised water for the shop and have just been reusing it. Yesterday when I racked it to my fermenter it had turned cloudy finally which I know to mean it is no longer effective. Not being sure what to do I just added more starsan to the same water figuring it would at least work for now. The liquid actually turned clear again. Is this a sensible thing to do? Deionised water isnt something I find very often and is a bit pricey to replace so if I can make it last twice as long like this it would be a win.

The only way to tell if your starsan is no good is to take a ph reading. Clear or cloudy has little to do with it. As for adding more to the same batch I don't know.

Good point, will take a ph reading and see what's what, but I'm more interested on weather adding to an old batch is viable. I guess you end up with a higher amount if the soap component, but is that bad? Maybe it just means it needs a little bit of a rinse?

Latest posts

Back