good rule of thumb for a good grain crush:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLubbert

Reaction score
hello everyone:

i am posting this to know exactly what do we seek when we crush the grain... i have only crushed grain once and i think i got it too crushed.

any thoughts are VERY welcome!!!

regards
JLubbert

IMO simply put, a good crush will fully expose the interior of the grain while doing as little damage as possible to the outside of the grain. Any whole grains or mostly intact grains that the interior is not easily available to be rinsed in the mash is bad, and will yield a lower efficiency.

First I condition my malt with water the I set the gap of my mill with a credit card. The thickest one in my wallet. Usually my Chase one. Puts me at about 75% eff. and I don't want to be more than that.

Crush it 'til you're scared. You need to get the starch outta the husks -- conventional wisdom holds that crushing the hell outta the grain is the way to go! As long as your sparge flows and you don't taste tannins, crush away. I absolutely pulverize my grain and brew award winning beer (blue ribbon at the Los Angeles County Fair this year with an Imperial Red). 75% eff is nice. 89% is nicer still. My 0.02.

Back