Super fast fermentation and slight carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginman

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for a while, but haven't decided to register until today. I started my batch of mead 9 days ago (recipe below) using the SNA schedule for fermaid-k and DAP. I basically went two days before adding the next round of nutrients, then didn't check in on it for a week due to being busy. I pulled off a sample today, and it the SG is already down to 1.016. I thought this was pretty weird, so I gave it a taste, and it turns out it is a little carbonated too.

My first thoughts are that I didn't oxygenate the must enough, but I'm not really sure, this is only the second batch I've ever made. Is there any way to remedy the carbonation situation?

Recipe (based on Halfdan's viking mead recipe):
12 lb orange blossom honey
4 gal water
1.7 oz sliced ginger root
1/4 tsp rosemary
5 whole cloves
3 cinnamon sticks
2 zested oranges + orange juice
1 vial white labs WLP720 sweet mead wine yeast

OG: 1.1 at 82F

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

1.016 after 9 days is just fine. Two weeks for full fermentation isn't unusual, especially if you use nutrient AND ferment at 82 (not sure if you fermented there or if that was just your pitching temp).

The carbonation is just suspended CO2 which is given off by your yeast during fermentation. Not a big deal, but if it's bothering you, you can always agitate your mead to release some of that CO2. Your fermentation seems to be going okay, though I'd check the gravity in another few days to see where it's at. If it doesn't budge, you may want to consider vigorously agitating the mead to get rid of it.

And 82F is pretty warm for fermenting your mead (if indeed you did) - it'd do just fine a good 10-15 degrees below that. You may find that your mead turns out "hot" due to the fusel alcohols produced during warm fermentation, though if you don't have temp control at your disposal, I suppose there's nothing you can do about it till summer goes away :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a good shaking and let you know how it goes. And yeah, that was just my pitching temperature, it happened to be a hot week so there wasn't much else I could do about it.

Yeah, read the other post about a 'stuck' fermentation. They lost a gallon of mead due to the volcano of CO2 rushing out of solution.

There's always CO2 in solution unless you degas or let it bulk age a really long time. A wine degassing wand is a good investment if you continue meadmaking (or winemaking)

Back