Cleaning Brass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderDogs

Reaction score
I was wondering what the best way to clean brass is?

I just bought brass pieces for my mash tun and just bought a brass wort chiller. I would like to clean them before I use them.

Is PBW the best way to clean them?

Palmer covers that in How to Brew. Soak 'em in a solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide until they turn a buttery yellow (should only take a minute or two).

are you sure you have a brass chiller? they are usually copper - which looks the same as brass to me. I've seen stainless ones, but there is no way to confuse that.

are you sure you have a brass chiller? they are usually copper - which looks the same as brass to me. I've seen stainless ones, but there is no way to confuse that.

Oh, I was referring to brass fittings for the MLT I am making. I clean my cooper chiller in Star San prior to using it each time (since I always have a bucket of sanitizer available during the brew day). Thanks.

Latest posts

Back