1st mead attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
could anyone share a basic 5 gal mead recipe. my resources are limited-I cannot get yeast nutrients. all i have on hand is some dried champagne yeast and some potassium sorbate. I would like it to be sweeter than drier. any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you
c

I would do a Cyser. The yeast will get a little more nutrient from the apple juice.

5-gallon apple juice (fresh pressed if available, make sure no preservatives)
12-15 lbs honey
16oz raisins, optional (split the raisins before adding to primary)

With the lack of nutrient, even your champagne yeast is going to putter out before finished. If for some reason it goes too dry for your liking, backsweeten until it is.

With a champagne yeast, it will probably end up dry unless you really pump up the honey - but then it will end up as hot alcohol for a long time and super ABV.

I'd recommend something like 12-15 # of honey, maybe some fruit to provide additional nutrients. If you don't have fruit handy or don't want to make an overly fruity mead - you can try raisins, in use in things like JOAM.

Otherwise, much of yeast nutrients appear to be dead yeast cells...damn them yeasties are cannabilistic mofos.

You could make your own "nutrient" by killing off a packet of yeast with high heat and using that as some nutrient.

If you keep the honey ~12-15# for 5 gallons, it should have enough to kick off and go fine. The yeast nutrient really just speeds the process up a little.

Edit: the post above mine wasn't available when I started typing - but it also sound advice. Cysers are excellent starts to meadmaking. They tend to run quicker anyways so you can "get a taste" to see if you really want to continue the process.

Latest posts

Back