Aging out a hot alcohol taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
I posted earlier in the week about a hefe that ended up with a much higher ABV than I intended. My question is about how long (if ever) does it take for these flavors to mellow out? I'm torn because I know that hefes are meant to be drank young but I don't want to drink this early (mostly because I'm not really enjoying it!) It's only been in the bottle for about 12 days so I know it needs more time anyway. I've brewed 5 AG's but this hefe is the 3rd, so I'm still not caught up on all the facts. any help would be great. Thanks.

I brewed a wheat beer that took about 4 to 5 months for the "hot" alcohol taste to start to dissapate. Much like you the starting gravity was much to high and then I fermented it at too high of a temperature. The beer is not great now but it is drinkable. This is just my experience however and yours may vary.

Back