Minimum in bottle times for...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TekelBira

Reaction score
What are the minimum in the bottle times for the following styles?

a) Trappist Ale
b) Imperial IPA
c) Dark Dunkel Wheat

Brewsmith said:
Are you thinking just carbonation or aging?
That's a better question actually. If I were to rephrase my original question, expected minimum for carbonation and best after at least how long? Thanx.

Carbonation usually takes about 2 weeks, but I've seen it take 1 to more than 3. The wheat should be ready pretty soon after carbonation is complete. I would give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle first.

The Trappist and the Imperial IPA are a little different story. They are stronger and need more time to mellow. They will be carbonated in the same amount of ttime, but could use several more weeks of aging before they really start to get good. Patience is always a good thing in homebrewing. Even if it tastes great after a week in the bottle, it will taste better a month later.

I would try to hang on to the Trappist for a few months before opening that one. You will be rewarded. :mug:

TekelBira said:
That's a better question actually. If I were to rephrase my original question, expected minimum for carbonation and best after at least how long? Thanx.

Most normal gravity (ca 40-60) beers seem to hit their peak at around six weeks after bottling or later, give or take, in my experience. So, if you follow 1-2-3, that's about 9 weeks out from brew day. I generally plan that I'll start seriously drinking a beer roughly two months after brewing it.

Your IIPA and Belgian may be peaking at more like 6 months from brew day, though.

Brewsmith said:
I would try to hang on to the Trappist for a few months before opening that one. You will be rewarded. :mug:

It sounds like you folks want me to become a Monk; patience my son, patience...
I am glad I picked up those extra seven cases of 22oz bottles when I found them for $9.99/dozen.:mug:

Back