Hop cones already??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoSeR

Reaction score
So I bought a couple of Cascade rhizomes this spring and stuck them in my garden. I live in Pensacola FL and have had a hard time with hops in the past but I did more prep work this time.
Long story short, One of the bines is around 15' tall, branching, and has cones 1/2" long on it.
Now I know hops need long days to flower and I believe in FL you need to extend the photoperiod by an hour or so to initiate flowering because our days don't get long enough.
Why do I have cones?? Especially in the spring.
Anybody know?
I thought it was pretty wierd.
I have 3 other rhizomes that are only a couple of feet tall and have no cones

We already have cones on ours too. Cascades that are 15' in year one is great growth, and if you have branches then cones are next.

Woohooo! I've got the the spikey little buggers here now! These are second year Fuggles and EKG. I was delighted to see them because in their first year I think they showed up around August! :)

My Cascade is only 5ft. but is starting to get branches. Only a first year so we'll see what happens. I honestly didn't know what to expect here in the Southwest but I've become enspired especially after seeing a pic of olllllo's and his having cones.

My hops are about 13' tall and getting side arms... they are also getting buds for the hop flowers... oh glorious hops. I dont need any more hops, but it is nice to see them growing so well.

Rather nice. It is possible to get two harvests, so I'd pick the cones as soon as they stop growing.

My fourth-year hops are 3-6 feet now. And it was 35F this morning.

Mine are in their second year - Cascade and Mount Hood (two others didn't survive last year). They are taking off - there are more shoots than I can count and they are up to about 12 feet long (if they were stretched out). The big thing seems to be that they love sun. We've had a ton of rain this year and not much happens on rainy days, but on sunny days they will grow as much as a foot in a day.

Back