I always brew the same styles. Do I really need to ever buy more yeast? or...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
Rather than buy new yeast every time I brew the same style, can't I just save some of the trub and yeast from the fermenter to pitch onto the new wort every time I brew and never buy new yeast?
I'm thinking that the Germans used this practice for many generations before they understood the role of yeast in their beers.

Eventually, the yeast mutate into something else, which can create undesired effects. Large scale breweries that have much more advanced equipment than us tend to not use the same yeast for more than 10 generations. For us puny homebrewers, the rule of thumb is generally accepted to be 5 generations.

But hey, don't let that stop you from top-cropping or yeast washing. Those are both great methods of saving money, especially with the high cost of liquid yeast. :mug:

Supposedly each batch of beer makes enough beer to pitch 4 more batches of beer. Since Wyeast recommends not using the same yeast for more than 4 generations, this allows for 16 different beers before you have to pitch new beer (assuming you wash your yeast and store it properly). You may be able to get away with using it more times, just monitor change in flavors and if it starts to change significantly it may be time to pitch new yeast.

Eventually, the yeast mutate into something else

Something like this?
215540850_f0bda48ce0.jpg

If you continually use the same strains, you may want to either bank strains or reserve a portion of your starter and store it cold. The yeast is 1st generation and you can harvest from this 'master culture' rather than washing.

If you split a portion of your starter, this will give you the pure strain rather than potentially mutated after the stress of multiple fermentations. I much prefer doing this to washing.

Supposedly each batch of beer makes enough beer to pitch 4 more batches of beer. Since Wyeast recommends not using the same yeast for more than 4 generations, this allows for 16 different beers before you have to pitch new beer (assuming you wash your yeast and store it properly). You may be able to get away with using it more times, just monitor change in flavors and if it starts to change significantly it may be time to pitch new yeast.

Actually,

First beer split into 4.

2nd generation: Each of those split into 4 for 16:

3rd generation: Each of those split into 4 for 64

4th generation: Each of those split into 4 for 256

That's 256 + 64 +16 +4 +1 = 341 brews from one pack if you're good at storing and washing and only split 4 times for 4 generations.

Some yeast washers go 5 generations and get 10+ splits from each generation, which gives them virtually limitless use if they have excellent sanitation and storage regimes.

Actually,

First beer split into 4.

2nd generation: Each of those split into 4 for 16:

3rd generation: Each of those split into 4 for 64

4th generation: Each of those split into 4 for 256

That's 256 + 64 +16 +4 +1 = 341 brews from one pack if you're good at storing and washing and only split 4 times for 4 generations.

Some yeast washers go 5 generations and get 10+ splits from each generation, which gives them virtually limitless use if they have excellent sanitation and storage regimes.

Uh, was told that there would be no math while drinking.:ban:

Back