First Brew Day Of 2013!!! What are you making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a Coppers English Bitter (don't be a hater yet..!!!:O) Did a partial mash with 1.5# 2row and some biscuit malt & Carapils & Crystal60 (150gram total {50grams each}). Boiled everything (wort, Coopers Hop LME, and 500grams of Coopers Light Dry Malt) for 20min with 0.5oz of East Kent Golding in about 1.25 gal of liquid..
Topped everything to 5gal and used Notty for yeast..

This was the 1st beer I ever made about 4yrs ago,, Do the same brew every year to remember where I started and how far I have come..

I just picked up the ingredients to do a Red Ale in my new fermenter. I also just bottled a winter ale that should be ready to sample next Sunday.

:ban:

I'll be brewing a black ipa/cda tomorrow. Second batch on my own, third overall. Hopefully it'll be as good as the first two brews.

My first beer of 2013, and the last at my current residence.. So it's a bit of bittersweet, yet exciting brew for me.

It's gonna be a basic grist for an IIPA.. 2row/Munich/Vienna/C40, and then 3/4# of hops for a 5g batch.

Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, Citra all together in there... Should round out around 8.25% ABV, and 85 IBU's.

About to put it into the fermenter now after I've let it sit from cooling/whirlpooling.

9oz of hops in the boil, with 3oz to go for dry hopping.

My first brew of 2013 and ever is a Grand Cru! Brewed on 1/3/13 can't wait to try it. Everything looks great so far! Happy 2013!

English Brown Ale, the style that got me hooked on good beers... but strangely enough I never got around to brew it until the other day. :p

Brewed my first of the year this past weekend. It's a 2.5G test batch using a wild yeast I cultured from my front porch. I tasted the fermented beer from the starter and it seemed spot on for a saison, so I just did a quick, simple extract batch that would allow the yeast character to shine.

It's fermenting nicely and I was amazed how short the lag time was on this one. Krausen almost to the top of the fermenter in less than 12 hrs. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

Brewed on Saturday 1/5/2013...6g of Pliny the Elder Clone. Although I screwed up the late addition. I used 3oz of Centennial instead of 2.25oz of Centennial and 1oz Simcoe at FlameOut. I am sure it will turn out fine.

Pecan Porter, from Austin Homebrew. Should be a good one to drink as Winter starts to ease... ;-)

Red Kolsch from More Beer. The first kit i try from them, if any one has tried this i would like some feedback.
Thanks

Not sure when my first brew day is going to be, probably February/March (gotta save up some funds for NHC entries/conference), but I'll see if I can't slam out 6 batches over two weekends, and do a Northern Brown, a Tafelbier, a Cream Ale, an Oatmeal Stout, an all-extract APA, and a 5-way split batch Chili Pepper Smoked Porter.

Not sure when my first brew day is going to be, probably February/March (gotta save up some funds for NHC entries/conference), but I'll see if I can't slam out 6 batches over two weekends, and do a Northern Brown, a Tafelbier, a Cream Ale, an Oatmeal Stout, an all-extract APA, and a 5-way split batch Chili Pepper Smoked Porter.

6 batches in two weekends? Dang!

NHC entries are going to be a little spendy, but my wife is going to the conference with me so tickets are going to be a ton. Looking forward to meeting you there. :mug:

Finally getting my first brew of the year in - most hops ever. 14 oz split between 5 minute and stirpool in brett trois brown wheat beer.

6 batches in two weekends? Dang!

NHC entries are going to be a little spendy, but my wife is going to the conference with me so tickets are going to be a ton. Looking forward to meeting you there. :mug:

Finally getting my first brew of the year in - most hops ever. 14 oz split between 5 minute and stirpool in brett trois brown wheat beer.

When I brew, it's normally a 10-12 hour all-grain double header. So 3 all grains one weekend, two all-grains and an extract the next weekend isn't that big of a deal. If I really wanted to could take a sick day and do all 6 over a long weekend :ban:

I'm looking at entering up to 16 different beers (probably gonna do 10-12, but a minimum of 7 or 8), so yeah, the NHC will be spendy. Fortunately I have a ton of friends in Philly plus it isn't that bad of a drive, so I can probably escape having to pay for a hotel and just crash on someone's couch during the conference.

I did my fist real partial mash today. I made my starter on the 30th for a New Years Eve brew, but I ended up going out instead. I brewed today using my first starter and my first time trying a real PM. I also got to use my new 7.5 brew kettle from Black Friday for the first time. I'm stoked I hit my projected SG my first time out. :ban:
Edit: it was a mild brown ale based on a Midwest recipe.

Caribou Slobber brown ale from northern. Went so fast last time that this time I am thinking I will stash 20+ bottles in the garage loft for 6 or so months.

LMAO I thought it was Moose Drool all this time. :confused:

I brewed a Kolsch which I'm gonna put some Bartlett pairs in.

Slightly bigger version of DFH 60, 5 gallons, 1 week in primary and smells like its gonna be awesome

Going to pick up the ingredients for a Maris Otter/EKG SMaSh tomorrow and try to get it done Friday. This will be my second all grain, and hopefully it will turn out better than the first did!

Hey HoppyhoppyHippo... I hope you didnt use T-58 yeast on the Fat tire clone... If you did, better make that a cooler side ferment... like 64 degrees. Good gawd man, the T-58 is spicy. I cant drink any Belgians of any type now. I have some fattire clone in the fridge from several months ago.

Brewed up a parti-gyle-ish RIS/chocolate stout combo. 15 gal on the first and 10 on the second. :D This week I'll be brewing a Caramel Corn Ale for the SWMBO.

Saturday I'll be brewing an 11% Imperial IPA based on Blind Pig, and an 11% Imperial Kiwi Saison using both French Saison and Sourblend yeast.

Put together a Fireside Barleywine batch, pretty much down the middle of the recipe, this past Saturday (1/5/2013).

Brew went flawlessly (hit 1.098, going for 1.097), thanks to figuring on 60% efficiency for gravity of that magnitude. :D

-Rich

Back