1056 a "clean" yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krahm

Reaction score
I guess I'm just wondering what people mean, exactly, by calling this yeast extremely clean and neutral. My original impression was that it wouldn't be imparting much to the beer in the way of flavor, but I've made 4 or 5 batches with it, and it seems to me that 1056 has quite a noticeable flavor--very earthy, almost like dirt. Or does "clean and neutral" just mean that 1056 doesn't contribute much in the way of esters and/or diacetyl? I swear I caught a wiff of that earthy note in a bottle of Mirror Pond Pale Ale the other day....

BYW, I'm growing to dislike that note. Does the Safale yeast (US-05) give it, too? What about Nottingham? I've got a pack of 1272 in the fridge that I'll be using next, but I'm curious about these others.

Thx!

1056 and US-05 are usually flavor neutral, earthy and dirt might be something else in your beer.

Agree with eastoak, I've never gotten dirt from 1056 / US05. I have gotten peach and other fruity characters when started /fermented a little too cool...

What hops did you use? Some of them can give you that character/flavor.

Also, how about reading up about the yeast before you just use it?? Wyeast has plenty of info online about their strains.

I suppose it could be the hops--Nugget and Willamette.

Also, how about reading up about the yeast before you just use it?? Wyeast has plenty of info online about their strains.

See the OP: I'm asking "what people mean, exactly, by calling this yeast extremely clean and neutral." Obviously, I've looked around to see what people have said (including the manufacturer). My experience seems to be inconsistent. I'm asking if I've misunderstood what I've seen when "reading up."

You can definitely get 'earthy' (dirt?) from both Nugget and Willamette.

Yeah, more from Willamette, in my experience. Not as bad as Fuggle though. I hate that hop and wish it would die in a fire. :p

I find 1056 and US-05 to be really clean and neutral, meaning no noticeable flavor or aroma that I can attribute to the yeast. Many do report a peach flavor if fermented below ~62ish, but I haven't noticed that (probably because my pallate isn't that fine tuned).

Clean and Neutral are comparative terms. Compared to most other yeast, it is a very subtle flavor profile and generally doesn't do anything crazy even outside its optimal temp range. Any "big" flavors from malt or hops will overshadow it.

And +1 for Willamette tasting "earthy." and +1,000,000 on the fuggle

I would definitely call Chico/1056/US-05 clean. Even at relatively high temps (up to mid 70's), it doesn't throw many esters, phenols, or fusels. I have heard the same thing about "peachiness" around 60, but haven't tried that low myself. Other strains are much less forgiving (particularly in the 70's).

Another +1 for Willamette being earthy (I happen to really like it, and always use it in place of Fuggles, which I don't care for).

Back