Lemon Tincture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnp121584

Reaction score
I would like to add a lemon finish to my Belgian Whit and I have read a lemon tincture is a good way to do this. I have no idea what this is or how to do it. I just brewed yesterday and am fermenting now. How do I make a lemon tincture and when do I add it? I have read a bit that vodka is somehow used and I add it when I transfer to the secondary? Please help. Thanks!

get some lemons (I would recommend organic since the skin is where most of the pesticides are and we need the skin)

zest them (that is take off the yellow part of the skin but leave the white pith)
pour some alcohol in a bottle or some sort of container you can keep sealed for a couple weeks
put zest in alcohol (ideally high proof stuff like everclear or 151)
after a couple weeks you will have a lemon tincture

Im not sure how much you will need or how much would be good amount of lemon flavor in a beer, sorry

Read about the pseudoscience of homeopathy to find out about tinctures and how to make them. I'm on my phone out I'd give you a link.

The great thing about a tincture is that you can add it at bottling time, and add to taste. Start low, and keep adding until the you get the desired flavor.

From what I have read 1/2 cup of everclear or vodka is a good amount. Should I remove the lemon peel before I pitch?

Yes, as long as it has been sitting in the vodka for a week or two, the vodka should now be infused with the lemon. You no longer need the peel.

What you are describing is basically a precursor to lemoncello. Do not use whole lemon peel, only the zest. Use a potato peeler. You only want the yellow surface part and none of the white.

Lemon tincture: I'd put in the 10-12 lemon's worth of peels (make sure they are chopped up into roughly half in pieces) and put them in the mason jar. Put in just enough everclear to cover. Let sit for two weeks. Separate peel from everclear. You should get a very intensely concentrated flavor. Let sit for half an hour and then spoon off any lemon oil.

This way you are not pouring a fifth of booze into your batch of beer but still getting the lemon peel flavor (which is different than a lemon juice flavor).

Lemoncello: 10-12 lemon peels and a 750 ml bottle of everclear into a mason jar for 10-14 days. Separate lemon peels from everclear. Then add in 2 cups of sugar that has been made into simple syrup and an additional 750ml of water (total volume should be about 2 liters). Stick in freezer. Consume regularly but in moderation as it is delicious but potent. Variation - add a vanilla bean that has been split and scraped to the lemon peel extraction stage.

Back