Cold crash before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrusso

Reaction score
I have a Kolsch that I just racked to a secondary and decided to cold crash. Now after reading some more posts on this I am having second thoughts on whether or not it was a good thing to do. I'm worried that when I go to bottle it won't carb well enough. Should I just CC it for a few days and then bring it to room temp for a few more? I know a lot are against even using a secondary, but it is what it is. No matter what i'm bottling a week after I racked this, so i'd like opinions around this time frame. :ban:

It will Carb fine. I cold crash beers for sometimes 2 weeks, due to time issues, and there is still plenty of yeast left in suspension to Carb.

I confirm what mlg5039 said.

I had no problems even after lagering for a month (and then bottled).

BUT if you have any doubt about the vitality of your yeast left after the cold crash, let's say because you just fermented a high alcohol beer and the yeast is stressed, you can add a small amount of dry yeast with the priming. It will do the job. How much?
1 billion of yeast cells per liter. Some say 1/10 of it, this one was from Jamil saying what Sierra Nevada does, but they filter it before priming. You will instead have your old yeast too.
A dry yeast packet provides ~230 billion cells/11.5 grams = 20 billion cells/gram so you have to dilute it.

Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

I cant speak to the yeast strain you are using but I can tell you from experience that if you cold crash a highly flocculant yeast like wlp007 you can run into carbonation issues if you dont add fresh yeast at bottling. My arrogant bastard clone took 3 months to fully carb after doing this.

Back