I need Help choosing a beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Beefy74

Reaction score
I need some help choicing what type of beer would be good for me to brew. At all the parties I go to they always have like Coors light and Bud and what not, but I don't enjoy the tastes of those beers, so lately i just bring my own StrongBow or Woodchuck, but being the poor college student that I am, I would like some pointers for a good beer to brew. I like to have a full flavored beer with a malty taste but not too hoppy, I like the sweet taste of strong bow and wood chuck, so if ya all have any suggestions for me I would appriecate it, Thanks much:mug:

Are you wanting a recipe for extract, or all-grain? Do you want recomendations for a kit, or for a build your own recipe? And what equipment do you have? Since you like cider, do you want to make hard cider, or do you want to make beer?

That will help us give you some ideas!

Well man, that is a hard thing do for someone. I would recommend going to a good grocery store or market that has a big selection. Pick up a couple six packs of things you have never had before. It will be a little more expense than what you are used to, but once you find something you like you can make it for much cheaper.

Good luck

You need to do some research. You don't want to brew a 5gal batch of a style you just don't like.
Pick up several different styles from a local store. If you can't do lagers make sure you stick to ales in your selection. Try different beers to see which ones most tickle you taste buds.

It sounds to me that a decent Amber or Brown ale maybe closest to what you are looking for. A porter or stout may be something you havn't tried that works for you also. The good thing is ambers and browns are also easy to brew and don't require any special techniques.

Craig

I've never had either of the beers you describe above, what "style" are they?
Based on your description I would reccomend something like a Brown, Mild or Scottish Ale....maybe even a Porter.....

EDIT: I guess we Craigs think alike ;)

Those you mentioned are ciders, and I don't think they have any malt in them (I could be WAY wrong about that).

Check out Edwort's Apfelwein recipe, you would probably like that and its REAL easy. Search for apfelwein.

Both strong bow and wood chuck have beers & ciders... you can always go with a simple pale ale to start you off. You can go from there, if you want darker, hoppier, maltier... ect.

Craig5_12 said:
I've never had either of the beers you describe above, what "style" are they?
Based on your description I would reccomend something like a Brown, Mild or Scottish Ale....maybe even a Porter.....

EDIT: I guess we Craigs think alike ;)
I guess so as I would have recommend a Scottish, or Mild also if I had thought of it. However he will probably have a hard time finding an example of a scottish or mild to try unless he lives in England.

I think the recommendation of Apfelwein sounds like an excellent idea for a poor college student that likes ciders. Inexpensive and very easy to make, and will only take a couple to get drunk at a party. However the 2-3 months for fermentation may require excessive patience.

Craig

If U like sweet beers go with a Cream Stout...
try Sam Adams Cream Stout..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back