Simple question, simple answer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehabahaha

Reaction score
Waiting for my first home brew to carb up in the bottles. Just wondering, should the beer be poured into a glass and then consumed? Or should I drink straight from the bottle? Does it really matter ?

Pour it into a glass, leaving the last 1/4" or so in the bottle. Remember, the beer is bottle conditioned so there is yeast in the bottom. It will make the beer taste funky!

Pour it into a glass. There is going to be sediment in the bottom of the bottles and you do want to decant the beer from that. You also want to release the carbonation and form a head on the beer. Frankly it's what you should do with commercial bottled beer too.

definitely in a glass. its just better. although if you let it sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks that sediment gets pretty compact and wont come out much. i have drank a few from the bottles while floating in the river and didn't get any yucky clumps

+1 glass. It tastes better from a glass, anyway since you get the full effect of the aroma.

B

Always tastes better from the glass but sometimes I get lazy and drink it from the bottle.

Now that I'm kegging... well... I suppose I might just drink it straight from the keg, or growler!!! :D

Always into a glass, enjoy every moment...the whisp of the cap, the CO2 at the top of the bottle sitting there, finding the right angle into a clean clear glass. Look at its edges and curves, happy pour with just the right head, it has a shine to it an aura. Appreciate for some time, take a sniff, take a sip, repeat. Cheers to your first beer.

Gotcha. Glass it is thanks guys. Another quick one, what is the earliest you can stick a beer in the fridge and drink it ? 2 weeks after bottling? Or at least 3?

mehabahaha said:
Gotcha. Glass it is thanks guys. Another quick one, what is the earliest you can stick a beer in the fridge and drink it ? 2 weeks after bottling? Or at least 3?

You never know...you have to test them. Try your first after two weeks if you'd like.

Thanks guys glass it is. Another quick question, how long after being in the bottles should I drink? I've heard 2-3 weeks. But then how long in the fridge should they sit before cracking them open

Thanks guys glass it is. Another quick question, how long after being in the bottles should I drink? I've heard 2-3 weeks. But then how long in the fridge should they sit before cracking them open

When they are young (2-3 weeks after bottling), it takes a bit of time in the fridge for the co2 produced to be fully dissolved in the beer so it's always good if you can stick them in the fridge for at least 24 hours or so. After a bit of time, the co2 is dissolved better throughout and it's not as crucial to keep them in the fridge that long.

That said, I've opened one after being bottled 4 days and chilled for an hour! It was good, but the next one tasted after 20 days in the bottle and chilled overnight was better!

Always into a glass, enjoy every moment...the whisp of the cap, the CO2 at the top of the bottle sitting there, finding the right angle into a clean clear glass. Look at its edges and curves, happy pour with just the right head, it has a shine to it an aura. Appreciate for some time, take a sniff, take a sip, repeat. Cheers to your first beer.

Nicely written. I might have to go pour another cold one after that!

B

Back