Digital thermometer accuracy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
I just got a digital thermometer and used it while steeping. Was curious about the accuracy so I put the probe in the boiling wort and low and behold, it only got as high as 210F. WTF???? I know it may have been off a degree or two, but 10? Or, does wort have a lower boiling temperature than that of plain water? Boy, if it is really off by 10F, I just screwed up my steeping grains. Mystery brew here I come.

Pure water boils at 212F at standard temperature and pressure. I think the thermometer is fine.

What's your elevation? While at sea level the boiling point of water is 212° Fahrenheit, for ever 500-foot increase in elevation, the boiling point drops one degree. Thus, at a city 5000 feet above sea level, water boils at 202°F.

I know where I live, I'm a little over 1,000 above sea level. My stuff boils at 210.

Here's some help on calculating your boiling point for where you live.

Wow. Didn't even think of that. Chickasha is 1093 above sea level, no global warming threats of oceans rising over HERE! So, anyway, that puts it about the same as Ed's, 210. And to think I was college educated and didn't figure that out for myself. Whew! That's good NEWS! No worry on the grain steeping.

how do you find out how many feet above sea level you are? i googled richmond but couldn't find anything.

todd_k said:
how do you find out how many feet above sea level you are? i googled richmond but couldn't find anything.

Richmond, VA is anywhere from 36 to 214 ft. elevation. If you are brewing on an overpass, your boiling point may be 211 degrees. :drunk:

After my floating thermometer broke I let the LHBS owner talk me into buying a calibration thermometer.

He was saying to check that against the dial themometer on my boil pot and showed me where to make the adjustment behind the dial gauge.

He also said the digital thermometer probably wasn't completely accurate either and to check it against the calibration thermometer and write down the variations in my brew books and then put the calibration thermometer up some place where it won't get broken.

Seems like the calibration thermometer was about $6

I have two thermometers. One is designed for frothing of milk so it has a large easy to read scale conveniently centered around mash/sparge temperatures. I really don't need the scale to go up to 400 F. It can be adjusted/calibrated with a wrench. I finally bought this digital model specifically because it gave a rated accuracy (+/- 2F), which most thermometers don't, and it is easy to calibrate.
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Professional-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45

I always felt uneasy buying a thermometer that didn't give you any indication of how accurate it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick test would be to put it into just boiling water like everybody has suggested and then get a glass of ice water and test it there. If you read 212 and 32 +\- a degree or two than you can be pretty comfrotable about it's accuracy through that span.

pjj2ba said:
I have two thermometers. One is designed for frothing of milk so it has a large easy to read scale conveniently centered around mash/sparge temperatures. I really don't need the scale to go up to 400 F. It can be adjusted/calibrated with a wrench. I finally bought this digital model specifically because it gave a rated accuracy (+/- 2F), which most thermometers don't, and it is easy to calibrate.
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Professional-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45

I always felt uneasy buying a thermometer that didn't give you any indication of how accurate it is.

That's where a calibration thermometer comes in if you want to know how accurate your other thermometer(s) are.

Tman said:
A quick test would be to put it into just boiling water like everybody has suggested and then get a glass of ice water and test it there. If you read 212 and 32 +\- a degree or two than you can be pretty comfrotable about it's accuracy through that span.

This guy either didn't read the entire post or does not believe altitude plays a role in which water boils.

Disregard his post unless you live at or close to sea level

pjj2ba said:

Does it float? That would be sweet.

I just bought a couple digi thermo's and tested them with my tap water. My previous thermo read 56 degrees and the two I just tried read no more than .5 degree off. I should add my previous thermo was the 40 dollar waterproof kind from Professionalequipment.com so it was about as accurate as you can expect. I think people worry too much about this stuff sometimes especially since the temps can vary a couple degrees in your mash depending on where you take the reading.

Dan

My digitals that I used through the wall on my tuns are rated at +/- 2 degrees... better than I can read on a dial therm.

Back