Are These New Bines?? (w/ pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
My Mt. Hoods were suffering from a bug infestation, and had stopped growing for about 2-3 weeks vertically. I picked about 10 leafs off the 3.5 ft tall plant about a week or two ago due to the yellowing of them and the bugs eating them....However over the past couple days now I've noticed A LOT of new growth. It seems like from just about every leaf that I pruned, coming from near the same spot there are new bines shooting out of the main bine. They're doing this only a few feet (and in some cases just barely a foot) above the ground, so I doubt they're flwoer buds. But it's the first new growth on the plant I've seen in 3 weeks, and I can't tell if they are all actual bines that will start growing, or if they are flower buds, or if I should trim them, or what.

FYI - the tip of the main and only bine that stopped growing snapped off about 2 weeks ago.

6hqbuh.jpg

35ltaj5.jpg

Nice, so there's a chance I can get some flower buds there?

Well my Cascades that have been growing great all season (2 bines for 1 plant) and one of them is about 7 ft. tall, but there is no side arms growing off them, and no signs of buds anywhere lol.

Should I start pruning some Cascade leafs? Or just let them do what they do?

the new growth you see are called sidearms or laterals. like just said, that's where the hops form on the plant. your removing of the leaves most likely had nothing to do with encouraging the sidearms to form as they do their thing when they're ready. have a hoppy harvest!

Nice! Theyre a first year though, so does that mean they most likely wont produce anything, or does it mean if the sidearms actually grow, ill get hops?

Back