Kolsch Malt - Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Northern Brewer offers a Kolsch malt. Anyone use this for the style, if so does it have any pilsen that would require a 90 min. boil?

Should I try this, or should I stick to a pilsen malt for my upcoming kolsch?

if its kolsch malt extract, the DMS was removed while making the extract so it wouldn't need a 90 minute boil, regarless of how much pils was used to make the extract.

I saw that malt, too.

Not sure what malt it would be comparable to. Maybe call NB and find out.

oh: and post your findings!

if its kolsch malt extract, the DMS was removed while making the extract so it wouldn't need a 90 minute boil, regarless of how much pils was used to make the extract.

Ya it's grain not an extract. I'll call like the other poster suggested and post back.

Alright I made the call today. And I actually called Brewmasters Warehouse. First off Brewmaster's has my buisness from here out. Incredibily nice guys and usually cheaper prices than elsewhere.

So onto the malt. He said this Kolsch malt is specificially from Cologne where Kolsch's are produced. It is a mix between pilsen and pale. If used alone it will be slightly darker than the style guidlines so it wouldn't be a bad idea he said to mix this malt with some pure pilsen and maybe a little wheat. I'm going to order some and brew up a Kolsch next week.

Any results.... I know I'm trying to pull Lazarus from the dead, but I've seen the product recently advertized.

Sorry it's been awhile. I brewed two kolsch's one with straight pilsner malt and some wheat and another with the kolsch malt and a little bit of wheat mixed in. I thought personally the kolsch malt had more flavor. I liked it a lot. However, it was a little more full body than a typical kolsch (almost more like a blond ale). But without reviewing my notes I'm not sure how much my process had to do with the outcome. I know I finished within guidlines of a kolsch, but I do remember not getting that typical "crisp dry finish".

I would recommend trying the kolsch malt, you just might want to omit the wheat and mash at 148.

Thanks, Dave! I was curious because looking at the specs, it might be nice for a SMASH brew or used as a substitute for pale malt.

Latest posts

Back