Help with relays to use with low voltage switches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino17

Reaction score
Hi All,

It's been months, and I still haven't gotten around to purchasing switches for my electric rig conversion. It's been a challenge locating suitable 240v switches in my area, so I have decided to go with low-voltage switches. However, I need some direction on what relays I should be purchasing to go with them.

For example, let's say I am looking for a low-voltage switch/relay combo to take the place of a 30a/240v dpst switch. Would I just look for any dpst mechanical relay that's rated for 30a/240v?

Anyone have any links to something suitable?

Thanks,

Rhino

Hi All,

It's been months, and I still haven't gotten around to purchasing switches for my electric rig conversion. It's been a challenge locating suitable 240v switches in my area, so I have decided to go with low-voltage switches. However, I need some direction on what relays I should be purchasing to go with them.

For example, let's say I am looking for a low-voltage switch/relay combo to take the place of a 30a/240v dpst switch. Would I just look for any dpst mechanical relay that's rated for 30a/240v?

Anyone have any links to something suitable?

Thanks,

Rhino

You can do it with an SSR but to switch the SSR you need a DC voltage between 3 volts and 32 volts and you need two of them for DPST.

SSR's are nice and all, but you only really need them if you're going to be switching the load on and off with a fairly high duty cycle. If you're going to be putting it in place of a manually operated switch, a regular relay will work just fine. In addition, you won't have to worry about fabricating up a heat sink for the SSR.

This looks decent, but I only did a quick search:
http://www.newark.com/tyco-electron...-panel-dpno-240vac/dp/03P2573?Ntt=DPST30A240V

You'll need 12 or 24v to run them.

I have a couple of these. My Home Depot had NOTHING but this. Fortunately, it was exactly what I was looking for. BTW, it looks just like the switch on your wall. You might consider going to my gallery and printing the hi-rez version of this. Bring it to your local home shop and maybe they can scan it and find it on their shelf.
Leviton_30A_240V_DPST_Switch.jpg

After putting in a junction box, with a very cool waterproof lever that fits right on top of it (red thing) and the 30A outlet:
240V_Outlet_and_Switch.JPG

I have a couple of these. My Home Depot had NOTHING but this. Fortunately, it was exactly what I was looking for. BTW, it looks just like the switch on your wall. You might consider going to my gallery and printing the hi-rez version of this. Bring it to your local home shop and maybe they can scan it and find it on their shelf.
Leviton_30A_240V_DPST_Switch.jpg

After putting in a junction box, with a very cool waterproof lever that fits right on top of it (red thing) and the 30A outlet:
240V_Outlet_and_Switch.JPG

Your WP switch box looks ok but I must question that feed to this SW box as a safety hazard, you were not finished with this project at the time of photo?

Latest posts

Back