Cool piece of glassware -- ideas wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementAle

Reaction score
My dad found this cool piece of Kimax glassware at a garage sale and got it for me to use as a fermenter. (How cool is my dad, right?) The people at the sale said it was from a dairy. I haven't been able to track down EXACTLY what it is or how it was used, but I plan on making beer with it. SO...

Suggestions on how to close the bottom (whichever end that may be)?

What would you use the extra little spout for?

How would you secure this thing? (Build a stand for it?)

I have some ideas, but I will wait to hear everyone else's first...

(the carboy next to it is a 6.5 gallon, I included it for size reference)

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26502&limit=recent

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26501&limit=recent

To post pics as a non premium supporter you'll need to host them on a photo hosting site such as photobucket, flickr, etc. Then you'll need to copy and paste the URL of the photo. To embed same photo - insert the following text:

Then again... seems like brand new members can't do that because of some... stupidhead a while back.

Looks like it would make a nice fermenter. Build a stand for it. The opening at the bottom could be used to drop the yeast bed like a conical. The extra opening at the top could be used for blow off or sealed.

That stand cited above looks good....if it holds the bottom opening far enough off the surface it's standing on, just close up the bottom opening with a carboy cap. Since it's on the bottom, secure it with a hose clamp. Find a valve to go in there, and you're practically yeast farming! The top openings are no biggie.....I'd just seal the small one, and use the top one to fill and for an airlock or blowoff hose.
Cleaning this monstrosity is another story.....carboys are enough of a pain, which is one reason I only secondary in them. I suppose PBW is going to be about it......
How big is this thing, anyhow? Looks like a minimum of 7-8 gallons, but if it's even a little bit larger in diameter than the carboy shown, it could go over 10......

That is pretty cool. I'd use it upside down. Use the little side port to drain your beer while leaving the trub/yeast in there... just like a conical is used.

I wouldn't sweat cleaning it too much... warm water and unscented OxiClean will take care of it.

That thing is cool looking. Isn't the carboy cap supposed to have been made for using carboys upside down originally?

I would do as suggest above... run it like a conical.

I would run it with the two ports pointing down; bottom most for yeast/trub removal, and the small side one for hydro samples. On the top use a carboy cap for an airlock.

Sweet pickup!

That is pretty cool. I'd use it upside down. Use the little side port to drain your beer while leaving the trub/yeast in there... just like a conical is used.

Yeah this, except I'm not really sure which way is right side up to begin with. The only other thing I could see doing with that side port would be putting a probe in there for a temp controller.

The printing on it shows the two-spout end to be the top. There is also graduation on it that is in pounds and kilos, presumably for weighing milk?

Latest posts

Back