What is whiskey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand this whole process, fermented malt and hops is beer, so what is just fermented malt? Anything? Does whiskey or other malt liquer start out as beer and then distilled down further?

How about moonshine? that is made from corn right? Do they make a corn wort and add yeast?

It is Friday so if these are stupid questions just indulge me. :mug:

Over my head Todd, but I do know that fermentation occurs, then the liquor is heated until the alcohol boils off, where it is captured and condensed - it's then cut to strength and aged in charred oak barrels, in the case of whiskey. Can't drink the stuff.....

the smoothest vodka I ever drank was a french called Ciroc or something like that - it was actually a grape product with multiple distillations - very smooth.

Take the alcohol, flavor it with juniper berries and cardomon and it's called gin.....

Skol!

Moon shine is basicaly, high alc drink, , people youse a sugar mix basicaly yeast, lots of sugar, water yeast nutrients.... u want yer brew to be really hi alc content B 4 you distill it. not like you got a still in yer base ment... its not Illegal to have a still, lol well i dont think so, as long as u aint stillin alc... gotta love distilled water. http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm

I think for moonshine they essentially make a corn beer ferment it with yeast and then heat this to whatever temperature alcohol turns to gas. The still captures the steam into another vessel.

something along those lines:drunk:

Thanks guys that is what I was thinking happened, I just wanted to confirm it. I'm not looking to make it or anything, just my brain going crazy like always. I'm brewing my first this weekend and the last two nights I've been dreaming about fermentors.. ha!

Todd said:
I'm trying to understand this whole process, fermented malt and hops is beer, so what is just fermented malt? Anything? Does whiskey or other malt liquer start out as beer and then distilled down further?

Beer and Scotch whiskey start out pretty much the same. For the whiskey, unboiled and unhopped wort (100% 2 row base malt, no adjuncts) is fermented out with distillers yeast and is then sent through a distiller at least twice raising it's alc/vol to about 52%. This liquid is then put in used Sherry or Bourbon casks with enough airspace to dilute with water to final proof which is about 40%.

It can only be called whiskey after it's aged in the cask for at least 3 year IIRC. You wouldn't want to drink it any earlier than that. :mug:

Whiskey is kinda of a generic term as well. Bourban has to be made from 51% corn mash or more, aged in charred oak barrels, and produced in the US. The best bourbans are produced in the west Tennessee and Kentucky area do to the fact that the water table contains high levels of calcium and low levels of Iron. This is considered to be ideal water for producing Bourban. The Oak trees in this area are also ideal for aging Bourban do certain sugars and enzymes that they contain.

All "whiskey's" start out as a clear liquid that is similar to Moonshine, but it is the aging of the oak barrels that imparts the colors and flavors that Bourban is known for.

Kevlar said:
All "whiskey's" start out as a clear liquid that is similar to Moonshine, but it is the aging of the oak barrels that imparts the colors and flavors that Bourban is known for.

Ditto gold tequila.

:drunk:

One interesting thing about whiskey making is that they don't lauter or sparge before fermentation. After mashing they just the yeast into the mash and let it ferment, grist and all.

By the way, as an official Makers Mark Ambassador (yay me) I have to recommend you try Makers Mark Bourbon. Very good stuff - nice and smooth.

alemonkey said:
By the way, as an official Makers Mark Ambassador (yay me) I have to recommend you try Makers Mark Bourbon. Very good stuff - nice and smooth.

I second that as I too am a Marker's fan and Ambassador.

From http://www.wineandwhiskey.info/whiskey.html

Whisky (or whiskey) is an alcoholic beverage distilled from grain, often including malt, which has then been aged in wooden barrels.

There are three types of whiskey: Malt whiskey, Grain whiskey and Blended whiskey. Malt whiskey is produced only from 100% malted barley.
Single Malts: Single malt may come from different casks of various ages, but they must all be from the same distillery.
whiskeyglass1.jpg
Vatted Malts: Vatted malts are whiskies from more than one distillery which have been blended together, according to the specifications of the blender, to produce a fine, consistent product with a personality of its own. A vatted malt may not contain any grain whiskey otherwise it is blended whiskey.
Pure Malt: All malt whiskies, whether single or vatted, are pure malt. They are produced only from malted barley. If a whiskey contains just one millilitre of grain whiskey, then it is a blended whiskey.

Bourbon is an American form of whiskey, made from at least 51% but not more than 80% maize, or corn (typically about 70%, with the remainder being wheat, rye, and other grains), distilled to no more than 160 proof, and aged in new charred white oak barrels for at least two years (usually much longer). Most of the time it is then adjusted to 80-100 proof and bottled, although some are bottled at "cask strength."
The name derives from Bourbon County, Kentucky, which was itself named after the French royal family at the time of the American Revolutionary War. A concurrent resolution of the United States Congress in 1964 restricted bourbon to U.S. production.
A refinement introduced by Scottish chemist Dr. James C. Crow was the sour mash process, by which each new fermentation is conditioned with some amount of spent beer (previously fermented mash that has been separated from its alcohol).The acid introduced by using the sour mash controls the growth of bacteria that could taint the whiskey. As of 2004, all straight bourbons use a sour mash process. Crow developed this refinement while working at the Old Oscar Pepper Distillery (now the Woodford Reserve Distillery) in Woodford County, Kentucky.
Curiously, when thinking about bourbon, many people first think of the brand Jack Daniel's, which is of the similar Tennessee style, and not technically a bourbon. Almost all bourbons are distilled in Kentucky, and it is often said that only Kentucky whiskey can properly be called bourbon; this is, however, not true, as those few exceptions to the rule demonstrate. Some famous Bourbon Distillers include Jim Beam, Pernod Ricard, Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, Old Rip Vin Winkle etc

Canadian whisky is whisky made in Canada; by law it must be aged there at least three years in a barrel.
Most Canadian whiskies are blended multi-grain whiskies. These are often casually called "rye whisky" although they contain proprietary blends of corn (maize), barley, and rye.
The largest producer, outside of the British Isles and the United States, is Canada.Many Canadian distilleries have direct connections with, or are owned by, Scottish distillers. Canadian whisky featured prominently in illegal imports (known as bootlegging) into the US during Prohibition in the 1920s. Some famous Canadian whiskies include Crown Royal , Canadian Club , Glen Breton Rare, (a single malt whisky), Hiram Walker , Seagram's (VO, Crown Royal) etc.,

Irish whiskey is barley malt whiskey made in Ireland. Irish whiskey resembles Scotch whisky in its ingredients and production. Peat is almost never used in the malting process, resulting in a whiskey with a smoother, sweeter, flavour. In most Irish whiskey, the smoky, earthy overtones of Scotch are absent. Irish whiskey differs from Scotch whisky from its very inception?the malting stage.The malt in Irish whiskey is dried in sealed ovens keeping only the pure malt flavour. Irish whiskey is then distilled three times (as opposed to just once for Scottish whisky) which furthers adds to the smoothness of its taste. To be called "Irish," the whiskey has to be distilled from native grains in Ireland and stored in wooden casks for at least three years.
Common wisdom says that the Irish invented whiskey, but the Scots perfected it. Both claims are open to doubt, of course. There are far fewer distilleries of Irish whiskey than there are distillers of Scotch.
Irish whiskey, like Scotch, comes in several forms. Like Scotch, there is single malt whiskey (100% malted barley distilled in a pot still) and grain whiskey (grains distilled in a column still). Grain whiskey is much lighter and more neutral in flavor than single malt and is almost never bottled as a single grain. It is instead used to blend with single malt to produce a lighter blended whiskey.
Unique to Irish whiskey, to which there is no Scotch counterpart, is pure pot still whiskey (100% barley, both malted and unmalted, distilled in a pot still). The "green" unmalted barley gives the pure pot still whiskey a spicy, uniquely Irish quality. Like single malt, pure pot still is sold as such or blended with grain whiskey. There are only three distilleries operating in Ireland Old Bushmills, Midleton & Cooley.

Scotch whisky, often called simply Scotch, is a type of alcoholic beverage made in Scotland. (The Scotch and Canadian spirits are spelled "whisky"; the Irish and American ones "whiskey"). The main distinction in the flavour of Scotch is from the use of peat in the distilling process. The name whisky is a transformation of the word usquebaugh, itself a transformation of the Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha spelled uisce beatha in Irish Gaelic, literally meaning the "water of life".
The unique method of using peat fires to dry the germinated barley and water is what makes this mixture "malted." The malted barley is then milled and made into a mash that will ferment, be distilled and, ultimately, be the basis for the rich, smoky flavour of Scotch whisky.
whis1.jpg
A Single Malt Scotch is a malt whisky that is distilled entirely at a single distillery, and is not blended with grain whisky. Noted single malts include Highland Park, Talisker,The Glenlivet, and Laphroaig.
A Blended Scotch Whisky combines grain and malt whiskies from several different distilleries. This is normally cheaper and generally considered inferior to single malt, with a few noted exceptions. However, over 90 per cent of the whisky produced in Scotland is blended Scotch. Blended Scotch Whiskies generally contain between 10 and 50 per cent Malt Whisky, with the higher quality brands having the highest per cent malt. Master Blenders combine the various malts and grain whiskies to produce a consistent "brand style'. Notable blended Scotch whiskies include Johnnie Walker, Cutty Sark, Famous Grouse, and Chivas Regal. Recently, Vatted Malt Whisky, or Pure Malt Whisky, has appeared on the market. Vatted malts consist of several Single Malts mixed together in a large vat and allowed to age for a short time. Noted vatted malts include Chivas Brothers Century, which contains 100 single malts.

Tennessee whiskey, is a type of American whiskey produced in the state of Tennessee. The whiskey is generally similar to bourbon,
jd.jpg
in that it is composed of a mash of 51 - 80 per cent corn, or maize, and is aged in new, charred oak barrels for a minimum of two years. The difference between the two is that Tennessee whiskey must undergo the "Lincoln County process", which requires that the whiskey be filtered through an approximately 10 foot thick layer of maple charcoal. This step is considered to give the whiskey a distinctive flavor and also makes it unusually mild.
gdickle.jpg
Tennessee whiskey is represented by two major distillers Jack Daniel's and George Dickel. Both of these distillers use a process called "sour mash." The yeast from previous batches of fermented mash is used in the new batch much like the way sourdough bread is made hence the name sour mash. The corn, barely, and rye mixtures of these sour mash products give them a unique flavour.

It is also the major reason I started home brewing . . . still looking for parts to move on to my "next step"

Whisky is a spirit, aged in wood, obtained from the distillation of a fermented mash of some sort.. Whiskey is produced in four countres: the Usa, Canada, Scotland, and Irland. The whiskeys produced in Canada, Ireland, and Scotland take on the name of their countries. Whiskeys produced in other countries, even though they may taste similar, cannot legally be called Canadian, Irish, or Scotch... in diff countres its spelt diff.. i no canadians drop the E or somethin like that.

Latest posts

Back