First Time Cider, maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
So after doing some research of the many variations of cider recipes, I'm thinking of something like this:

3 Gal Batch

8oz Caramel 80
4oz Honey Malt
4oz Flaked Wheat (Increase Head Retention)
4oz Flaked Rice (Lighten up the body from any unfermented sugars?)
Lalvin 71B-1122 wine yeast
1lb of Light Brown Sugar
2.5 gal of President's Choice Apple Juice, Past./No Preservatives/ 1.050 SG

-Possibly an additional can or two of Apple Juice concentrate to up the fermentables and keep more apple flavor.
-Possibly some acid blend, depending on how the yeast works out.

-Partial Mash in 1.5 qts of water at about 158 to leave some unfermentables behind (going for a less dry version) for 60 min. Sparge in 1qt water at 175 degrees for 5 minutes or so. Combine containers and add Brown Sugar.
-Rehydrate yeast about 30 minutes before usage
-Add AJ and sweet wort together and pitch yeast
-Ferment until it's done, BeerSmith said my OG should be around 1.080 andFG should be about 1.012 but I have no idea if it is calculating it correctly with the AJ specs I put in, or how well it calc's cider at all. I'm looking for a less dry cider, without backsweeting, that I can carb and bottle. The PM seems like too much work compared to most recipes, but I haven't done that before so I guess I'll get some practice before it warms up outside so I can start PM'ing beers.
--Any thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Back