boil off on 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
I'm currently using a keggle to boil 5 gallon batches. If I step up to a 10 gallon batch occasionally, how much extra boil off will I get if any?

On the one hand, the surface area will be the same so I'm thinking it won't boil off any extra but I really don't have a clue.

I try to get 7 gallons preboil so I can get 5.5 into the primary. Would 13 gallons give me 2 5.5 gallon primaries and 5 into the keg?

I work on 10% boil off for 60 minutes, 15% boil off for 90 minutes regardless of 5 or 10 gallon brews. It's been pretty close on both.

I should mention that I'm using a Blingman 20g pot. Maybe a little more surface area than a keggle but probably not too much.

I've been losing over a gallon on my 5 gallon boils(20%). Maybe it is the larger surface area or too hard a boil..

I lose about 20% too. My last batch I started with 7.5 boiled for 90 mins expecting 5.5 and ended up with just under 5. I am adjusting accordingly. I believe the shift is due to the relative humidity because I am boiling off a bunch more than a month ago and everything else is equal.

This is all good though because my next batch is a Dubbel with 16# of grain so I will start out with close to 9 1/2 gallons.

Back