Stainless 55 gallon drums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbachunk

Reaction score
So I work at a food manufacturer and we use canola oil that comes in 55 gallon stainless drums. Do ya'll think these would be of interest to homebrewers? Maybe as a boil kettle or mash tun once the paint is stripped off?

If there's paint on it then it isn't a stainless barrel.

It might be stainless even if it's painted. It depends on who was using them, they may paint them to keep track of them. All of my stainless pots were painted when I got them.

I don't think they would put canola oil in a steel drum.

I think a lot of folks would be interested if you're just tossing them out.

Not tossing them out, trying to see if there is enough interest to go through the trouble of acquiring them now and in the future.

It might be stainless even if it's painted. It depends on who was using them, they may paint them to keep track of them. All of my stainless pots were painted when I got them.

I don't think they would put canola oil in a steel drum.

Exactly, the manufacturer produces many products and they want to brand their product all the same. Going to strip off the outer paint to make sure but I have no reason to believe they are anything but stainless.

Exactly, the manufacturer produces many products and they want to brand their product all the same. Going to strip off the outer paint to make sure but I have no reason to believe they are anything but stainless.

See if a magnet sticks to it, if it doesn't you're good.

One problem with SS drums is the bottoms are sometimes a separate piece which leaves a seam around the bottom on the inside that is difficult to clean.

If it's painted and food safe it's probably a mild steel barrel with an epoxy coating on the inside.

Back